“Stand by” what’s it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Stand by” what’s it mean?

So, I (son included) applied for several hog and deer hunts around the Choke canyon lake area, but didn’t get selected. I’ve read in various threads about “stand-by”. What exactly does that mean? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

First thing to do is contact the hunt coordinator for that site and ask if they are offering stand by spots. If they are it means the first morning of the hunt you show up and they will put everybody name in a hat and draw for the open spot or spots.odds depend on how many people show up for stand by. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      First thing to do is contact the hunt coordinator for that site and ask if they are offering stand by spots. If they are it means the first morning of the hunt you show up and they will put everybody name in a hat and draw for the open spot or spots.odds depend on how many people show up for stand by. Good Luck
      No it doesn't!!!
      It means you can come to the hunt and stand by and see what the drawn hunters kill!!!
      Just kidding.
      Pretty much what he said!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        No it doesn't!!!

It means you can come to the hunt and stand by and see what the drawn hunters kill!!!

Just kidding.

Pretty much what he said!!!

If you’re not selected this is exactly what it means. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks gents.

Comment

loaded question but what are the practical odds you're selected? I know it varies place to place but hearing practical outcomes would be good

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
              loaded question but what are the practical odds you're selected? I know it varies place to place but hearing practical outcomes would be good
              Depends on how many spots available and how many people show. I went on a archery hunt as a stand by 3 years in a row and got to hunt all three times. Went to same place for gun hunt and got sent home.
              One way to up the odds, show up for a stand by and try to get 3 other stand by on the same card.

Comment

It all depends on how many openings they have and how many standby's show up. Some of the highly sought after hunts may have 40 standbys show up and only one opening. Sometimes there are 3 openings and no standbys show up.

Comment

First call a week or so ahead and ask if they will have standby opportunities. Then go and put your name in the hat to get drawn. Sometimes they draw and sometimes they have enough spots for everyone there. I've been a lot luckier going standby than getting selected in the initial drawing. Hog or doe hunts you will almost always get to hunt.

Comment

If your status is showing standby it means better luck next year. That's what it means to me

Comment

Make sure you understand what the manager is telling you. They may say number of cards drawn (with up to 4 names per card), or number of spots available and will draw until they get the number they want.

If they draw one card, your odds improve if you can get people to fill the cards completely

Comment

We went standby at matagorda island last week. They drew 4 cards out of 6. My name was on one of the 2 cards not picked.

Comment

If you are interested and called (aka did the leg work or know researched data) to see if there are standby openings. If you want to ruin your chances post it in a public forum. Kinda goes for any info obtained.
                          Example post below...

Hey there are 12+ openings at BFE this weekend, who is going? Last hunt kill included 10 150+ class and three 180+ deer last hunt with only 14 hunters. And 20 does, 4 Auodad, 6 Axis, 3 Nilgai, 24 hogs and 2 Black Buck .

Private Messages are the way to share the above data with other THB hunters on the same hunt.. This is a public forum and there are probably three times as many non members scouting for info.
                          Last edited by ABWGTX; 11-23-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                            If you are interested and called (aka did the leg work or know researched data) to see if there are standby openings. If you want to ruin your chances post it in a public forum. Kinda goes for any info obtained.
                            Example post below...

Hey there are 12+ openings at BFE this weekend, who is going? Last hunt kill included 10 150+ class and three 180+ deer last hunt with only 14 hunters. And 20 does, 4 Auodad, 6 Axis, 3 Nilgai, 24 hogs and 2 Black Buck .

Private Messages are the way to share the above data with other THB hunters on the same hunt.. This is a public forum and there are probably three times as many non members scouting for info.
                            I try to post that on all the hunts I can't go on!

Comment

Back in the old days when you could only pick one hunt out of each category, you could post some really nice pics and info on a hunt and get a lot of folks to apply for that hunt. Then, you apply for one of the lesser known honey holes and improve your odds of being selected. It doesn't work like that now. Now the best tactic is to pour yourself a big ole cup of STFU and hope others do the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X