Aransas NWR 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aransas NWR 2019

Alright who all is going to donate blood to the Aransas this year?
    I’m going back for my 2nd year in a row!

I’m thinking of going. If I do it more than likely be during rifle season though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it worth going? Any tips for a new comer? Success rates look horrible.

Comment

It definitely separates the men from the boys.

Comment

I got selected. This will be my first year going. Any tips would be much appreciated. From what I’m seeing, it looks like you need a ground blind? Trees don’t look big enough for a portable lock-on? Other than map scouting, I’ll definitely be down there early on the 27th and may go the 21.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
            I got selected. This will be my first year going. Any tips would be much appreciated. From what I’m seeing, it looks like you need a ground blind? Trees don’t look big enough for a portable lock-on? Other than map scouting, I’ll definitely be down there early on the 27th and may go the 21.
            I’m seriously not joking you need to take the mosquitoes very serious. Definitely recommend a quality bug suit, thermacell and other products to deter these guys. With out a doubt top priority!
            You really need to try and find a light weight tripod around 10-12’ tall. 90% of the trees aren’t big enough BUT a lot of the underbrush/grass is to tall for a ground blind. I found a tree last year big enough to hang a stand in but it was one of very few.
            It “SHOULDNT” be as wet as last year but we still have a month. Last year was HORRIBLE 90% of the place was under water. Secret was to find some semi-dry ground and the acorns. If it starts raining invest in some good hip boots. Watch out for water moccasins, LOTS of them. Whatch out for alligators, no I’m not kidding stay away from pond edges there are some dinosaurs out there. If you can kill a doe, kill it! Anything off this place is a trophy! There’s a lot of game on the place but no baiting and the terrain makes it a tough hunt. I saw a very nice 120-130 class buck but never could get him to close the distance. In fact I saw deer every day I hunted and ended up killing a spike and a pig.
            Good luck!

Comment

Second year in a row I don’t get drawn. Haha

We got drawn 3 years ago and it was a tough deer hunt. My group killed 8 pigs and saw 2 deer. My buddy and I were stalking a field and a buck about 120”-130” came out about 50 yards from us. I’m not big on deer so I told my buddy shoot em. He got buck fever and didn’t move. Deer walked off.

Was cold and wet during our hunt. Good luck y’all.

Comment

Anybody know if they will do standby this year?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                  I found plenty of trees for a lock on and had shots.

Comment

Thank y’all for the help and advice. I’m assuming orange vest/hat are not required since there will be no gun hunters there during that time?

Comment

It will be my first year there as well. Ive been hunting east Texas for years, but the lack of trees will definitely be a challenge. Thats some good advice Tyler, Thank you.

Comment

Im trying to scout the 22nd, it will be an experience for sure. If anyone wants to meet up shoot me a message.

Comment

I drew here and Laguna Atascosa. First year for both.

Comment

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
                            It definitely separates the men from the boys.
                            Actually, I think it separates the sane from the insane.

Comment

Shoot I applied for 5 different places didn’t get drawn for any of them. Good luck y’all. I know Aransas refuge good it a tough hunt for anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X