Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luminant Public Walk-In Reviews

Hello all,

I am opening up a thread to see if anyone is familiar with the public walk-on property called Luminant Unit #607. It is closest to me, so hopefully i can atleast get a freezer fix doe, cull whichever comes first. I just got off a drawn hunt at Balcones Canyonlands and had no luck. It was a beautiful place but it hurt due to the time and money put into it so I would like to keep it close.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I’d hunt the creek that runs through the middle N to S. I’m sure a lot of deer run it. Worked the area a few years back on the big power line job. The entire area was crawling with deer and pigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder how much pressure it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post

I’ve wondered that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post
          It gets hit pretty good. Maybe not so much towards the end of the season though.

Comment

I drove in the weekend before bow opening. According to all the old threads here it gets a fair amount of gun pressure. There were plenty of tire tracks in the well worn road and trash spread from lazy people.

Comment

Considering it's the only APH public land you can use a rifle for deer within 100's of miles it gets hit hard, not real sure why it's not been made archery only or at least limited range weapons muzzleloader/shotgun, if you go bathe yourself in 10 mile cloth.

Comment

Thank you all. I did some reading and found out in Robertson county there is only a small window you can hunt doe and we are well past it. I will see if I could maybe get a spike or a lucky 13 or wider.

Comment

Anyone checked out/scouted Luminant this off-season?

Comment

Yep. If the wind’s blowing out of the north, take a gas mask, because the chicken farm next door is RANK.

Comment

that unit gets hit HARD! i have not hunted it during bow season but from November through end of the season during the middle of the week to weekends and holidays there are always lots of people out there.

I have went to the furthest spots to avoid human traffic and no luck. I know some spots are bowhunted due to orange tape marked everywhere and some ladder stands left up.

It may be a dang good bowhunting spot despite number of hunters on it before rifle. I just have better early season spots so haven't tried it.

Comment

I'm thinking about taking the drive to Luminant and hit it up before gun season starts. The Public Land Hunting book shows that the Eastern entrance is the parking area, but then it says "Do not drive past pipeline road when wet." . So am I allowed to drive in through the eastern entrance, or not? The map even looks like it shows a driving trail that goes about halfway in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes you can drive a good ways in there to parking area. There is a sign that say do not pass. From there the little road to the right side has a big mud hole just past the parking spot if it’s wet then they don’t want you to pass it. And yes the warden checks that area quite often and will right tickets for passing it.

Comment

Perfect. Thankyou for the info.

Comment

Lots of hunters out there. I wouldn't drive far to hunt it. I would go to Davy Crockett...unless this isn't that far from you then check it out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X