Poaching and Exotics on the Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMiz View Post
    Next to my families LF ranch is a HF place that I assume is a breeding operation for exotics. His place is about 40ac with multiple pens for Rams, Blackbuck, Fallow, Axis, Oryx, I've even seen a cape buffalo.

Well over the weekend someone cut a few holes in his fences and killed a $40k Ram and a few other animals got out.

He told our ranch manager that if we see any of his animals to give him a call so they can try to re-capture the animal.

Has anyone ever been successful in re-capturing lost exotics?

This is in East Texas so very few HF places but lots of trigger happy hunters.

Would you shoot an exotic if you saw it or call the neighbor?
    That's no good to hear... hopefully that poacher is a ding like most and starts bragging to buddies and it / pics ends up on the social innerweb.... if I saw an exotic on my place I would shoot. However if I knew of the recent escapees and where they came from that would be different.
    Last edited by TexasTealHunter; 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I would let him know if I saw any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
        if i knew there was a HF operation in the area i would for sure try to reach out. at the end of the day those animals are those peoples means of bread bringing for their families. now if i have zero knowledge of any HF ranch or breeding operation in my area then arrows are flying at an exoctic.
        This. If you knew where they came from, try and make contact with owners. If they wander up from some place and no idea where they came from, enjoy! An axis is a little different then a Bongo though.....if a cape buffalo walked out while hunting, I think I would call for a ride back to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
          I'm curious what a $40k ram looks like.
          Probably a urial, a markhor, or a ibex.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
            Probably a urial, a markhor, or a ibex.
            Or a giant Transcaspian Urial...

Comment

If they are tagged are branded they are the same as livestock . You have to let the owner know and try to get them back on his place if you shoot them with a tag you will get a stiff little fine along with some other court cost .

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                Knowing everything you listed (knowing where it most likely came from, the exotics are lose because some jackass cut holes in his fence, and being a neighbor), I would call to let them know you've located an escaped animal.
                X3.5...ish?

Good neighbor policy engaged.

40 acre HF exotic farming has got to be intense management and very costly for maintenance. Especially with Aholes cutting fence holes and stealing produce. Dang!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  X3.5...ish?

Good neighbor policy engaged.

40 acre HF exotic farming has got to be intense management and very costly for maintenance. Especially with Aholes cutting fence holes and stealing produce. Dang!
                  Yea his place is pretty new too. I feel bad for the guy.

He has had the perimeter fence up for about 6-7 years and this year added more interior fences to separate some animals apart.

He has put a ton of money into it and then this happens

Comment

Update***

They have found and recaptured 15 goats but his two big breeders are still missing. He is assuming they were what was killed and drug out.

Comment

$40,000 Ram, I for sure would like to see that!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a tax write off to me

Comment

How long is a reasonable time frame for the owner to catch them?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          How long is a reasonable time frame for the owner to catch them?
                          Let them start a good herd and get the numbers up.

Comment

Where was the pen located on the property? Not that it makes a big difference. Reason I ask is right outside Jacksboro at 281/114 someone has a few breeding pens RIGHT on the highway. Didn't get a good look but saw a pen of Fallow and a WT pen with a 200"+ breeder buck. Cant imagine the anxiety I would constantly have if that was my setup...

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                              $40,000 Ram, I for sure would like to see that!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a tax write off to me
                              Can't think of any ram that would run that much.
                              Maybe a absolutely insane Markor?

OP- Glad he was able to recover some critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                                If they are tagged are branded they are the same as livestock . You have to let the owner know and try to get them back on his place if you shoot them with a tag you will get a stiff little fine along with some other court cost .
                                ^ This. If he spent all that money building fences and pens, surely he spent the little extra to ear tag them. The law states that if they are conspicuously tagged you have to inform the authorities and cannot shoot. If they weren't important enough to tag...

Comment

Working...
                                X