12 Ga Choke for 00 Buckshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Ga Choke for 00 Buckshot

I use my Remington 870 with screw-in choke tubes for a short range Night Hog hunting rig.
    Noticed 3" 00 Buckshot in an extra full turkey choke .. shots @ 1' high .... Still good shot group. So I use good old Kentucky Windage .. But was wondering what choke tubes may be better ...

A choke tube should really only effect your pattern density. If it’s shooting high then you need to check your mounting sequence. The 870 has a flat rib unlike a benelli that has an angled rib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good Point since High Visible flouesent sights were installed ...

Comment

Modified is best. I would think a Turkey choke would've blown the end off the barrel ??

Comment

00 in an Extra Full could cause problems. Make sure that choke stays tight.

If you could find #4 3” that’s deadly for piggies.

Comment

Don't know about all those screw-in chokes, but I have my dad's old Model 12 with a 30" full choke plain barrel that has been the death of a many a hog and deer shooting those 3" "Blue Whistlers" in 00 buckshot... Still have a box of the shells to... JIC.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              Modified is best. I would think a Turkey choke would've blown the end off the barrel ??
              Originally posted by fish4food View Post
              00 in an Extra Full could cause problems. Make sure that choke stays tight.

If you could find #4 3” that’s deadly for piggies.
              i was thinking the same thing.
              I wouldn't go anything tighter than a modified, otherwise just use a dang rifle or a slug.

Comment

Carlson coyote choke or anaconda choke. Use both for mostly varmints. Deadly out to 50 -60 yards if you pattern correctly.

Comment

Often the best patterns with large buckshot are with less restricted chokes. But a lot of buckshot loads are copper plated and buffered, too and there is less chance for pellet deformation through the restricted chokes, and in some cases full chokes shoot the tightest. Only way to tell for sure is to pattern your gun with a few of the loads and chokes you intend to use. Full chokes won't damage the gun, millions of rounds of buckshot have been fired through full choked guns. Large STEEL shot shouldn't be fired through the "super full" tubes intended for lead, though. I don't see where changing tubes will significantly change point of impact, though. That is a sighting concern.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                    Often the best patterns with large buckshot are with less restricted chokes. But a lot of buckshot loads are copper plated and buffered, too and there is less chance for pellet deformation through the restricted chokes, and in some cases full chokes shoot the tightest. Only way to tell for sure is to pattern your gun with a few of the loads and chokes you intend to use. Full chokes won't damage the gun, millions of rounds of buckshot have been fired through full choked guns. Large STEEL shot shouldn't be fired through the "super full" tubes intended for lead, though. I don't see where changing tubes will significantly change point of impact, though. That is a sighting concern.
                    This right here.

OP, when you're aiming, do you see the top of the vent rib or just the sight?

Comment

My 870 magnum patterns very well with 3 inch 15 pellet Remington unplated load and a flush fit factory full choke.

Comment

Going Install the Factory modified choke and check the pattern.
                        The extra full is not a Factory ... 1 st time with Buckshot .. checked everything and it's Good.

Comment

I killed many deer in La. with 2 3/4” 00 and 000 buckshot out of a 12 ga Remington 870 Wingmaster with a fixed 30” full choke barrel. I sometimes wonder what some of you think people did when many hunters used what they had or could afford. That 870 was used for everything from rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese, and deer. Full choke is fine.

Comment

I started my deer hunting in eastern North Carolina. We ran dogs and the weapon of choice was shotguns. I've been in on hundreds of deer kills with shotguns. About every combination was tried, different sizes buckshot and different chokes. By far, the most used was 00 buckshot in a 12 ga with full choke.

Comment

I’ve shot buckshot through multiple guns with turkey chokes to modifieds. Fulls usually work the best. I too grew up running dogs in SC and killed a pile of deer with 2 3/4” and 3” 00 and 000. Furthest kill was probably 65-70 yards, 1 shot and 12 out of 15 pellets in the front half of the deer. That was an old 30” fixed full Wingmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X