Buying land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying land

I had customer come in the other day and we got to talking about hunting,which happens quite a bit with me wearing my TBH cap everyday. He was talking about buying some land to hunt on down around Rocksprings/Del Rio area...maybe like 40ac or so. I got to looking after he left and saw what he was talking about. He said his main concern was that the land was part of a large ranch being divided up and the smaller tracts. Do y'all think that is enough land to hunt on and how big of a concern would it be on something like that being divided up. Not sure but the terms were like owner finance with 5% down, no credit check for up to 30yrs...seemed kinda odd to me.

Land looks good, especially with a chance at exotics.

Lots of land for sale in Texas like that. Large ranches being subdivided. I have been looking into buying 30-40 acres down there. Owner finance, but interest is higher than a typical loan. From what I understand you cannot fence your land and neither can the neighbors so it is basically a large area to hunt as far as animals moving. I think the best way would be if a group of folks got together and bought several adjacent tracts. Where my lease is at we border a area where the large ranch was broken up into 200-400 acre tracts. A lot of the 200 acre tracts are owned by 4 people.

Comment

Rocksprings is full of properties just as you described. Large ranches being subdivided and split into what hardly qualifies as a ranchette. Some of these properties are great and may back to big neighbors, but most of them have been shot up and are bordered by 6-10 other 40-100 acre tracts. Make sure you’re buddy thoroughly reads the deed restrictions as well.

Comment

There hundreds of people doing the same buying "ranchets" or whatever they are called.

Comes down to location and if you want to hunt in a area where there are 10-15 others buying into the smaller properties thinking the same thing as far as "if i have a chance at exotics and a decent deer or two". Works solid for about a season or two and then proabably goes downhill real fast..

Comment

I looked at land for a few years before finding the right place. The best advice I can give is to make a list of things that are a priority for you, and stick to it. We wanted a family friendly place, with fishable water, decent (or better hunting) and within 1.5 hours of the house.

Location, size, shape of the property, and the terrain all make significant differences in the usability of land. I looked at a 25 acre place that felt ‘big’ and a 100 acre place that felt small. You can’t control your neighbors (or who they are) now or in the future so do your homework.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            There hundreds of people doing the same buying "ranchets" or whatever they are called.

Comes down to location and if you want to hunt in a area where there are 10-15 others buying into the smaller properties thinking the same thing as far as "if i have a chance at exotics and a decent deer or two". Works solid for about a season or two and then proabably goes downhill real fast..
            That's how I see a bunch of these places going. Right now they are showing the properties with all the deer and exotics on it but then in a few years with the new land owners and their family/buddies shooting everything decent those huntable numbers will go down quickly.

Comment

been looking at land online, lot of areas doing the same thing, not just down there. be smarter to give a little bit more if you could find some that wasn't part of a big ranch....if that's even possible..

Comment

It might not be too bad. There are plenty of people that want out of the city and to own their own land but aren't into hunting.

So you might get lucky and all of your neighbors do not hunt so there is no pressure.

If it is the other way around that might be more difficult.

Comment

Leakey area has a lot of these. My buddy has a family place out there that was once something like 2k acres and is now 100-500 acres ranches. It was great for a year or two but it went downhill fast. People take too many animals off it with friends and family hunting and before you know it the deer are gone. I would shy away from these areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                    Leakey area has a lot of these. My buddy has a family place out there that was once something like 2k acres and is now 100-500 acres ranches. It was great for a year or two but it went downhill fast. People take too many animals off it with friends and family hunting and before you know it the deer are gone. I would shy away from these areas.
                    that was kind of my thinking

Comment

Much of Edwards County has subdivided in this fashion. The seller doesn't convey the property to buyer rather gives him a "contract for deed". In other words you get a contract from the seller simply stating that when you pay the note off as agreed, the seller will give you a deed to the property. If you miss a payment, this makes it easier for the seller to take the property back so that they can sell to someone else.
                      I would not recommend buying land in this fashion and I feel that 40 acres is too small for hunting long term, especially when there are hunters on every other 40 acre tract around you.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

A buddy of mine bought some land like this in South Texas 15 or so years ago. I think it started out okay but the animals were soon gone. We stopped by the property after a day lease hunt and there were people everywhere on the drive in. Said where his property is located there was little chance a deer would make it past all the other hunters without getting shot.

Comment

Kind of what i was thinking

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I kind of poked around on the web today. Hard to find any land that isnt part of a large ranch.
                            Made me start dreaming about wanting to buy some land of my own to hunt on...would like to have 25-50ac...
                            Would like to have some in Central/West Texas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep lots of ranches being sub-divided. I’m working on getting the wife to move out of texas once we retire. Would love to have a place in Ok, Mo, Neb. Land seems to be more reasonable too. However we will still have the farm in Texas to maintain as well

Comment

Working...
                              X