Sales Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax

Gov Abott is further in your pocket. Was buying something on Ebay and learned that they now have to collect Texas State Sales Tax even though the seller does not have a physical presence in the state. Not sure if this went through the legislature or whether the Comptroller just decided to do this. I'm sure the extra revenue will have no effect on our reducing other taxes.

Noticed the same thing over the weekend when ordering stuff online. It sucks.

Comment

Started October 1st.

Comment

Just bought a Bianchi holster today on Ebay. I was surprised when 2.95$ tax during checkout. It was an out of state seller.

Comment

supreme court

Comment

should help the mom & pop stores by making their prices more competitive.

Comment

So how will the great State of Texas go about collecting this sales tax from OOS sellers?

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

This is a federal ruling. All states now have to do the same.

Comment

Yep, for you Abbot-haters, he had nothing to do with that one... It was a Federal thing that began back in the 0-bummer administration and just worked its way through the court system all the way to the SCOTUS... decision was handed down that internet sales were taxable and it officially began Oct. 1... Or might have been Sept 1... don't remember for sure...

Comment

Technically, you were supposed to be paying all along using the honor system. If you purchased an item and the seller did not collect sales tax, you were supposed to remit it yourself (use tax) to the Comptroller. Apparently the honor system doesn't work in America anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      Technically, you were supposed to be paying all along using the honor system. If you purchased an item and the seller did not collect sales tax, you were supposed to remit it yourself (use tax) to the Comptroller. Apparently the honor system doesn't work in America anymore.
                      Yep. They get you either way. If it didnt sell here you dont save anything because the use tax is the same as sales tax!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Yep, for you Abbot-haters, he had nothing to do with that one... It was a Federal thing that began back in the 0-bummer administration and just worked its way through the court system all the way to the SCOTUS... decision was handed down that internet sales were taxable and it officially began Oct. 1... Or might have been Sept 1... don't remember for sure...

Man, I disagree with you on this one. If he was opposed, he would have said so as this is a big deal for Texas folks. It is what it is. All politicians suck is what I'm trying to say

Comment

I always saw it as an offset to shipping costs. What a nightmare for small internet sales companies now dealing with 50 state comptrollers as well as D.C. and other non state territories.

Comment

It seems like it would be a burden for all of the boutique shops online.

Comment

I bought a pair of Swaros on eBay the last week of September-- waited a couple of days and paid October 1, which Cost me $142!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X