Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spikes? Who has a ton of them this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spikes? Who has a ton of them this year?

We are seeing a LARGE number of spikes this year compared to previous years.

Anyone else seeing more than normal by percentage?

How was your fawn crop last year?

we have lot in Houston county. seen alot more bucks in general thi year though. Less doe.

Comment

We have a grand total of 1 seen all year. That is 100% more than what we usually see.

Comment

Not seeing an abnormal amount of spikes, but lots of fawns

Comment

I have seen a ton this year for some reason. Never had them on game cameras during the summer at protein feed stations.

Comment

I normally see 4 or 5 from summer through end of the season and very few older bucks.
            This year was the opposite. I got pictures of or seen in person 17 different bucks that are 3-4 years old and not one single spike.
            And this is all on 100 acres but we have decent sized neighbors (350 acres and 400 acres)

Comment

A lot less spikes this year for us. We had record rainfalls since 2014 and most of what would have been spikes are forks and six points and even some small 8's. Seems they are making a comeback from the drought of 2011.

Comment

We had close to 100% fawn survival and only seen a few spikes. Most 1.5 yr old bucks are 4 or 6 pts.

Comment

We normally don't have to deal with recruitment issues up here, but the last two years have been pretty strong. I've seen a ton of spikes/young bucks this year. I haven't seen many big bucks this go around. Bad weather and a prolific AND prolong acorn year probably affected my shooter buck sightings.

Comment

On 400 acres, I have counted close to 25 different spikes (1x1 or 2x1). Have taken 3 out so far. Also have one pic with 5 different spikes at the feeder at one time

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      We are seeing a LARGE number of spikes this year compared to previous years.

Anyone else seeing more than normal by percentage?

How was your fawn crop last year?
                      Judging by your avatar, they probably all heard you were sensitive to their situation and set up shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
                        Judging by your avatar, they probably all heard you were sensitive to their situation and set up shop!
                        That was funny right there!!! B

Comment

Haven't hardly seen any!

Comment

Less this year than the previous 2

Last years fawn crop was above the previous and this year seems to be decent...it has been a hard year to judge with all the rain and higher temps than usual. I see a lot of fawns driving around and very few at feeders for sure.

Comment

Encinal -

we are also seeing a lot more spikes this year over years past. I was very surprised to see this with all of the rain and with the amount of protein and cottonseed we fed this year. Out of the 1.5yr olds I have on camera, we have around three 8-points, six 5+points, three fork horns and about five or six spikes. This is for our small place that is just under 400 acres. We normally don't shoot/cull anything until they are at least 4.5yrs to find out what they are truly made of.

Comment

Working...
                              X