MLDP Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
    This isnt anything new. That the way MLD has always been. Look at the conservation option before you completely throw it out.
    I was on MLDP III for several years, and gave it up two years ago, so I know the process. My biologist, a knowledgable guy, was replaced by a guy who knew less than I do and I was tired of voodoo game camera surveys and paperwork. We never used all of our tags anyway, because I didn't think we needed to kill three bucks and six does on a 217 acre property I have my own ideas about management and it doesn't include llistening to a biologist that doesn't know a cowpea from a cornstalk. Only two people hunt on this place and we usually only kill one buck and two does per year, so the tags we paid for will serve nicely.

Comment

Are the arguments against the quantity of tags because you have too many hunters for the tags allowed ?

Some of the harvest recommendations I am seeing are in what are generally accepted numbers for some of the counties listed. Of course some properties may differ overall they don't look too off.

If you are on MLD you aren't supposed to be using regular license tags. If that's the case you don't need MLD.

I'm personally liking that the state may trim down on the number of folks on the program. It's way overused.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        Are the arguments against the quantity of tags because you have too many hunters for the tags allowed ?

I'm personally liking that the state may trim down on the number of folks on the program. It's way overused.
        I agree with this. The ONLY reason that I was on it was to be able to kill a mature buck that doesn't meet AR and a few extra days to hunt. I usually was through by the middle of January anyway. You can only hunt so much, and now that I'm retired I can hunt every day that conditions are right, so no more need for MLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          Does registering and entering a property bind you in any way to the program, or can you set that up later? I'm almost through registering, but don't want to be tied to their harvest requirements if I don't like them.

With the estimator, for our 575 acres, it is 5 bucks (# of lease members conveniently) and 14 does. I think we could effectively take more deer than that, but I doubt we hit those numbers.
          You are not bound to the program until you accept the tags.

Registered for conservation option today.

Comment

I encountered an issue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	issue encountered.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24501852

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                i just checked ours for fun, last year we were at 20 bucks and 30 does under MLD 3
                the harvest estimator for junction put us at an estimated 38 bucks and 68 does...

i guess they want me to make up for all of the deer you guys cannot shoot

in all seriousness, this is based on deer densities for the area and in our case, we remedied that 8 years ago by getting under control.
                we will stay on the conservation option and use our surveys to dictate the number of tags... there is no way on earth we could ever get to 68 does...

but, i do appreciate how easy the tool is to use... maybe they are moving in the right direction overall, even with a few initial hiccups.
                Why go with conservation program when your getting more then enough tags with the harvest program? The conservation program will cause you more work and you don't have to fill all your tags you get with the harvest program so that means you can manage your deer harvest exactly the way you want to without any interference from a biologist who may or may not know what is right for your property.

It's my understanding that the harvest program is basically taking over for LAMPS and the Conservation Program is taking over for MLDP. If you were on MLDP before, you will more then likely want to go with the conservation program. If you were not on MLDP last year, you probably wont qualify for the conservation program because you more then likely haven't kept good enough records to get on the program this year since I believe they require 2 years of records of deer harvest, deer numbers and surveys. If I remember correctly you had to meet the same standards for MLDP 2 or 3 as you do for the new conservation program.

Comment

Harvest option is a no go for us. We would only get 2 antlerless tags.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                    Harvest option is a no go for us. We would only get 2 antlerless tags.

County and acres? I'm curious to see what people are getting for different sized tracts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Cherokee CTY 565 acres

1 buck
                      2 Doe

No go for us

Comment

The system is flawed big time....I went through the online process and it recommended 1 doe and 1 buck for our 440 acres in Karnes county. We have averaged 5-7 doe tags (with the biologist and survey)the last 10 years and take 3-4 bucks a year usually. We are on the edge of Atascosa county and our property is heavily wooded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

460 acres - 1 buck and 2 doe. Cancelled enrollment.

Comment

Just completed our LMA registration. Initially quite confusing. After reading it over multiple times and realizing the site did not support I.E. browser yet I switched over to the iPAD and got the initial sign up completed. I looked at both options for our ranch. The harvest option recommended 16 bucks and 33 does. This compares to 16 bucks and 41 does removed last season however the screwy regulations woven into the harvest side were a no go. I called our biologist and both of us got on line at the same time. There are some prerequisites however if you were MLD you most likely already qualify. If you use a 1d1 exemption then you already have the other criteria covered. We signed up and he accepted the conservation option while we were both on the phone. We now do our three surveys, send him the data, they send the tags via email (new this year). You print them out on your home computer. He said make sure and use paper that won't wash out the ink if the tag gets wet. Other than that were done. Unfortunately I think there is a lot of miss understanding still of the new process.

It appears going forward it should now be more user friendly Maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenska View Post
                              County and acres? I'm curious to see what people are getting for different sized tracts.

Good question. The new system does not calculate Harvest Option tags based on County. Tpwd biologists broke the state up into major habitat types, somewhere between 30 or 40, that they are calling deer management units. Those units were further broken down into more specific habitat types such as Pine Forrest, Cedar Breaks, Rolling Prairie, Mesquite, River bottom, Etc. Then using population data from state survey lines, as well as knowledge of populations in those areas, and bound by statistical limits, they developed population estimates for each of those specific habitat types.

So when a ranch goes onto LMA and draws their property boundary the system calculates the acres of each specific habitat type and plugs in a population estimate for each habitat type and then generates a population estimate for the entire Ranch. Biologists also developed harvest rates for each deer management unit targeting a certain percentage of the doe population and a certain percentage of the buck population. That's how the number of tags are determined.

So two properties that may only be two miles apart and have the same acreage but have different habitats types may be offered a different number of tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenska View Post

Colorado, 230 acres. We normally get five antlerless tags.

Comment

Working...
                                X