X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up a pallet right now on Llano
    A pallet is lasting about 3 weeks.

Comment

Deer have slacked off quite a bit on the protein the last few weeks. It's funny I haven't even seen a coon in a month at the feeders!!!!!! I've got cell cams on all my feeders

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
        If I had a choice I would go food plots over protein feeders every day of the week - we run cameras on our feeders and at the best a deer will come to the feeder twice per day and be there less than 5 minutes each time. How much can they really ingest in that short of a time?

On the other hand, deer are born to browse. If they have a food plot to graze on they will stay out there for hours and ingest much more than they ever could or would at a feeder.

We are in south texas so unless you have irrigation (which we do not) a food plot is just too iffy - but they are the ticket IMO
        Agree 100%. With the amount of money spent on feed you would almost think it would be cheaper to set up irrigation and plant. Just look at the amount of forage you can provide by planting vs. a feeder. Heck a clover food plot is like a protein feeder that refills itself. The only drawback I can think of is a protein pellet will always have the same level of attraction, a plant's level of attraction can vary depending on conditions and what stage of growth it is in. Well that, and as you mentioned a food plot won't grow in many places.

I think the amount of time deer spend a protein feeder eating is also going to be determined by the habitat/soil. With outstanding habitat/soil deer are going to spend less time at the feeder versus good or poor habitat.

Comment

Mine have dropped off to hardly anything which is very unusual. We did get 4.7 inches of rain 7-10 days ago and this may have caused it.

2 1000lb feeders filled on June 14th. Only eaten roughly 200 lbs each max as of today. Very weird with high deer numbers.

Comment

Around 10,000lbs of protein, 5,150lbs of cottonseed and 5,250lbs of corn on just under 400 acres in Menard County since January 1st 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
              If I had a choice I would go food plots over protein feeders every day of the week - we run cameras on our feeders and at the best a deer will come to the feeder twice per day and be there less than 5 minutes each time. How much can they really ingest in that short of a time?

On the other hand, deer are born to browse. If they have a food plot to graze on they will stay out there for hours and ingest much more than they ever could or would at a feeder.

We are in south texas so unless you have irrigation (which we do not) a food plot is just too iffy - but they are the ticket IMO
              Just to offer another data point to this conversation I feed protein here on my farm in La and also have over 100 acres of year round food plots. I have 1-2 feeders on every plot and go thru about 4-5 tons a month. I've been feeding pellets for a long time and I'm convinced all the deer have become habituated to the feeders even with growing lush fields steps away.

This with a well managed population , ongoing habitat mgt. and probably 1 acre plot for every 2 deer [swag ]

I'm also convinced, anecdotally , that adding pellets to the program adds 5-15% to top side antler growth even with an established year round food plot program. No, I can't back that scientifically but nonetheless believe it true from observation. I think there are lots of reasons why though.We simply grow much bigger bucks than anyone in the neighborhood [ or state for that matter].
              Last edited by elgato; 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                For you guys throwing out these amounts of protein, what size acreages correlate to these amounts? And what your goals for the year? Do you have a goal of so many #'s per acre or year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I hunt a 400 acre pasture on a 20K acre LF lease in Brackettville. So far, I've fed 15000# protein. My goal is to feed 2300#/ month, every month, and as effectively as I can. That's my $$$ budget.

I figure I'm feeding 40-45 deer that consume an average of 1.8# per day each.

Comment

How much protein.

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  Just to offer another data point to this conversation I feed protein here on my farm in La and also have over 100 acres of year round food plots. I have 1-2 feeders on every plot and go thru about 4-5 tons a month. I've been feeding pellets for a long time and I'm convinced all the deer have become habituated to the feeders even with growing lush fields steps away.

This with a well managed population , ongoing habitat mgt. and probably 1 acre plot for every 2 deer [swag ]

I'm also convinced, anecdotally , that adding pellets to the program adds 5-15% to top side antler growth even with an established year round food plot program. No, I can't back that scientifically but nonetheless believe it true from observation. I think there are lots of reasons why though.We simply grow much bigger bucks than anyone in the neighborhood [ or state for that matter].

That is so interesting and surprising to read. Thanks for weighing in. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, but in this case you own both lawns in the same neighborhood so you are qualified to make that assessment.

When I planted my first food plot in Wisconsin I was amazed at how much the deer didn't use it versus s feeder situation. I always assumed it was because there was lots of other good/browse available. Could be other factors too...

I have never hunted a place that had both planted food plots and feeders.

Comment

3 tons at one feeder for my area of the lease. West Texas Crockett county.

Comment

How much protein.

About 8 tons on 4,200 acres on our place in west Texas (Water Valley). Some feeders are about 50 lbs a day.
                      Last edited by Jzoch; 07-07-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        About 3 acres in Trinity Co. , and five acres in Rusk Co.
                        Wow that would never look like that on our place to many deer.

Comment

We've fed about 22,000# on our lease outside Rocksprings so far this offseason. On 3200 acres. This is mainly due to budget restrictions. We could feed twice that as far as their consumption rate is concerned. But we just can't spend that $$$ to feed that much. By my calculations they would go through close to 100,000lb per 6 month off-season if we kept feeders full all the time. But that's some serious dough just to try and turn 120" deer into 130"-140" deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

as much as they'll eat

Comment

1125 acres

>3000 lbs cottonseed
                              >33 tons L&E, about to order another 6 tons
                              >The 6 gets us through antler growth and then depending on rain we'll switch over to corn till January.

Deer are consuming 12K lbs every 4 weeks.

To the green screen - you should note El Gato's comments and his post about his property. What he has accomplished is pretty amazing on his place. Our limiting factor is moisture. We have the age, solid genetics however we lack in any kind of consistent moisture thus impacting the nutritional plane of the herd. I have learned for us that to plant oats/wheat before Thanksgiving is flushing dollars down the commode. Last winter I planted the week before Christmas and had great patches till it turned hot in early May.

I'm absolutely convinced its all about the greens and protein becomes the icing on the cake. In our case the protein fills the greens void!

I strongly recommend that anyone interested in increasing the nutritional plane of your herd take the time to read through El Gato's thread. Its a fascinating read if your a whitetail freak and you just might learn a thing or too from the master

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill54 View Post
                                1125 acres

>3000 lbs cottonseed
                                >33 tons L&E, about to order another 6 tons
                                >The 6 gets us through antler growth and then depending on rain we'll switch over to corn till January.

Deer are consuming 12K lbs every 4 weeks.

To the green screen - you should note El Gato's comments and his post about his property. What he has accomplished is pretty amazing on his place. Our limiting factor is moisture. We have the age, solid genetics however we lack in any kind of consistent moisture thus impacting the nutritional plane of the herd. I have learned for us that to plant oats/wheat before Thanksgiving is flushing dollars down the commode. Last winter I planted the week before Christmas and had great patches till it turned hot in early May.

I'm absolutely convinced its all about the greens and protein becomes the icing on the cake. In our case the protein fills the greens void!

I strongly recommend that anyone interested in increasing the nutritional plane of your herd take the time to read through El Gato's thread. Its a fascinating read if your a whitetail freak and you just might learn a thing or too from the master
                                Ever think about investing in a pivot irrigator. You can find used pivots for 15k-20k that would irrigate 100+ acres. You would need a well drilled though. A food plot in South Texas would be incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X