Husqvarna lawn tractor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husqvarna lawn tractor problem

I had to replace a spindle and pulley on the mower. After changing and putting new blades on the spindles the blades will not turn when I pull the switch to engage. I had to have the electric clutch replaced a couple of years ago while under warranty. Anyone have any advice? I'm going to try a couple things tomorrow but thought i'd ask here tonight.

Did the blades/spindles turn freely while the belt was off?

Check the fuses. Does the motor rpm lower at all when the switch is engaged?

Take the belt off and check to see if there's a bind with a spindle/bearing. Make sure blades are centered on spindles and not somehow offset. I don't recall if Husqvarna uses saddles on the shafts or what.

Had a mid PTO on a John Deere that was only working intermittently and it figured out it was the alternator going bad. Yours probably is built differently.

Also make sure the switch under the seat is still plugged in and functional. With motor running and you sitting on seat, try to engage the pto switch and then stand up or transfer weight off seat. If the engine dies, then the switch under seat is still functional.
    Last edited by 12 point; 06-29-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

If it was turning freely before you changed them then you must have something not straight or in a bind. Check to make sure the spindles and blades are straight. Take them off and see if it will turn. If so replace and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Waggoner View Post
        Did the blades/spindles turn freely while the belt was off?

Check the fuses. Does the motor rpm lower at all when the switch is engaged?

Take the belt off and check to see if there's a bind with a spindle/bearing. Make sure blades are centered on spindles and not somehow offset. I don't recall if Husqvarna uses saddles on the shafts or what.

Had a mid PTO on a John Deere that was only working intermittently and it figured out it was the alternator going bad. Yours probably is built differently.

Also make sure the switch under the seat is still plugged in and functional. With motor running and you sitting on seat, try to engage the pto switch and then stand up or transfer weight off seat. If the engine dies, then the switch under seat is still functional.
        I'm going to check it with the belt off this morning. I'll check the fuses as well. It killed the motor when engaging the pto.

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        If it was turning freely before you changed them then you must have something not straight or in a bind. Check to make sure the spindles and blades are straight. Take them off and see if it will turn. If so replace and try again.
        Everything is straight, I double checked them all prior to lowering off the jack.

Comment

ttt anyone else?

Comment

I had an engage switch go bad.

Comment

Bill, you should send a PM to yazoomike. He works on these things for a living. When I was having a problem with my Husqvarna lawn tractor I described the problem to him and a few hours later he texted me a video of himself fixing that problem on the same tractor. With his help I was able to fix it my self and save a trip to the repair shop.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                Bill, you should send a PM to yazoomike. He works on these things for a living. When I was having a problem with my Husqvarna lawn tractor I described the problem to him and a few hours later he texted me a video of himself fixing that problem on the same tractor. With his help I was able to fix it my self and save a trip to the repair shop.
                John I have reached out to Mike several times and hated to bother him again. Decided I would wait and let him decide to comment if he sees this thread.

Comment

had the same problem with mine. it was a fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBIGCHIEF View Post
                    had the same problem with mine. it was a fuse.
                    I'm going to check the fuse but since it seems to be attempting to engage and kills the motor I'm thinking the fuse is ok. Getting ready to go remove the belt and see if I can turn the spindles and if I can, see what the pto clutch does when engaged (without the belt on).

Comment

Thanks for all the input folks. It's working now. Who would think that hardened grass underneath the deck would keep the blades from turning. I wondered about this yesterday. I normally always clean underneath when changing blades but only half way did it this time and the hardened grass/dirt was not allowing the blades to turn. The nut atop the new spindle was a little tight also. Everything's good now.

Comment

Glad you got it working. I used to be a heavy equipment and small engine mechanic as well as owned a business where machines were my specialty.

Comment

Well not completely out of the woods yet. This all started last Saturday when the pulley on the spindle I have now replaced twice began rattling and the hole walled out. It in turn rounded the teeth on the spindle where it seated. The next did the same thing and I'm thinking not enough grease so I replaced again yesterday. I began to mow a few minutes ago and thought I heard a rattle looked down to see melted grease on top of the pulley and it began to smoke. The diagram in the book shows a washer underneath the pulley that was not part of the new spindle assembly but I assume needs to be there. It sits atop the bearing and under the pulley. What is the opinion on it being there?

Comment

Hard to say for sure without seeing it up close. What's the model #?

Almost sounds like something is putting a bind on bearing/s for it to get the grease that hot. Unless those are the type zerks that aren't spring loaded.

Comment

Turns out that very small washer is a very important component to the proper operation of the spindle and pulley. I had one from another spindle and put it under the pulley. Mowed like a champ.

Mike if you look here you'll see I got it taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                              X