Outlier buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlier buck

So I’ve been watching a buck for the last 3 years and he’s been a symmetric 10 all three years. He started out inside the ears and we estimated him at 2 1/2 at the time. He’s always been lanky and I thought for sure this year he would gain some body mass and be on the hit list as I’m 100% sure he’s atleast 4 1/2 this year and mature.

Went through pics and he still looks YOUNG and far from the 4-5 y/o age range I know that he is. No gut, still lanky, etc. I have a thousand photos and videos of him dating back to 2017.

My question is it possible for a deer to have some sort of thyroid or high metabolism issues that would throw off the typical body mass of an aging deer? I feed corn and protein year round so I don’t think it’s malnourishment, he looks healthy and frame wise he looks the part.

Perfectly normal. I don't know where you are located but I see it every year in east tx. I have many years history on my deer. Almost every year I start a thread two about known age old deer that always look 4.

Comment

Very normal, and we have some deer that don’t seem to age.

Comment

Sorry for the phone pics, but this is the buck in question.

Do y’all think he’ll make 140?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

He is lanky! I would of been willing to bet he was younger if you didn't already say it.

Comment

When I went to my 20 year class reunion I noticed something. We were all almost 40... some fit... few skinny... and a bunch that looked 60+

Anything can age differently. His body alone looks younger but antlers look mature (and I believe they can be used in most cases) his face and overall appearance looks mature... To ME

Comment

Right on top of it

Comment

He looks his age to me. I think he will show it more in the next couple weeks

Comment

A 4 to 5 year old deer, is in his prime, not a old deer. A 4 to 5 year old buck should not have the Roman nose and the big belly and sagging belly.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      When I went to my 20 year class reunion I noticed something. We were all almost 40... some fit... few skinny... and a bunch that looked 60+

Anything can age differently. His body alone looks younger but antlers look mature (and I believe they can be used in most cases) his face and overall appearance looks mature... To ME

100% perfect answer

Comment

Not all bucks get sway backs at sagging bellis with age.. Smaller bodied, hill country bucks, age differently.. Their body size and build has a lot to do with this.. On some bucks the head will tell you a lot more about a bucks age than his body will and based on that this buck you posted could easily be 5 or older..
                        We have killed deer in Brady that looked like this that were wore to the jaw bone..

He should easily make 140" with a few extra..

Comment

He’s 140 plus or minus an inch

Comment

Maybe he's a lover and not a fighter

Comment

I might fill his feeder with medicated feed.

Great frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X