6mm ARC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6mm ARC?

Is this that new? Looks like a pretty interesting caliber for smaller rifles, and humans.

At 1st glance it appears to be the Grendel necked down, wonder what velocity a 90 pill will reach?

The 6mm ARC is an extremely versatile cartridge that does what much larger cartridges can, and everything that smaller cartridges can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got the email from Brownells. Seems pretty interesting. There has been a 6mmAR cartridge out for a bit, seems very similar. 90g projectiles should be able to crack 3k fps out of an 18” barrel. http://6mmar.com/#2762

Comment

I’m intrigued as well. I have pretty high hopes for it with it being Hornady introducing it. They definitely seem to know what they are doing when it comes to introducing new cartridges and getting them on the market.

Comment

Looks pretty cool, I wonder what cartridge it’s based off of? Looks like a 6 ppc stretched out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longshot View Post
          Looks pretty cool, I wonder what cartridge it’s based off of? Looks like a 6 ppc stretched out.
          220 Russian. It's a necked down Grendel.....kinda. 6mm AR has been around a while but it looks like Hornady has cleaned it up a bit.

Comment

Ballistic Advantage sent out an email today saying they are now making 6mm arc barrels.

If you have a Grendel ar, all you have to do is swap barrels and start blasting away

Comment

6ARC , it's a 6PPC with a shortened neck and very, very minimal case modifications.

parent case is the .220 Russian , same as the Grendel and PPC (Palmisano & Pindel Cartridge which was developed in the mid 70's) using a .440" bolt face / case head diameter

PPC neck length = .282"
              ARC neck length = .234"
              difference , ARC = .048" shorter

PPC OAL case length = 1.503"
              ARC OAL case length = 1.490"
              difference, PPC = .013" longer

case diameter at shoulder:
              PPC = .4299"
              ARC = .4301"
              difference, ARC = .002" wider

with the 6PPC, these numbers below are documented, and World Records were set at 600 yds back in 2004.
              - 2800 fps with the 105-107 gr bullets.
              - 3000 fps with 95 gr bullets.

IMO, I'm not impressed with the ARC cartridge simply because it has already been created and proven in the field. Hornady tweaked the case ever so slightly to come up with new SAAMI specs so they wouldn't infringe on the PPC dimensions. Ruger did the exact same thing when they copied Todd Kindler's 20 Tactical and renamed it the 204 Ruger.

This cartridge will likely only be seen in the AR15 / semi-auto platform. It's gonna take an act of congress for rifle manufacturers to chamber it in a bolt action. You have 2 major problems: very odd bolt face which measures .440". Small bolt faces (223 family) measure .378" , and the large bolt face (243, 30-06) which measures .478". Bolt face sizes, extractors, and ejectors will have to be tweaked by manufacturers to pull the ARC case. Additionally, the PPC is a royal PIA to feed effectively through a magazine. 99.99% of the bolt action rifles chambered in PPC are single shot. A repeater with a AI type 5-rd magazine ain't gonna happen without major modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                6ARC , it's a 6PPC with a shortened neck and very, very minimal case modifications.

parent case is the .220 Russian , same as the Grendel and PPC (Palmisano & Pindel Cartridge which was developed in the mid 70's) using a .440" bolt face / case head diameter

PPC neck length = .282"
                ARC neck length = .234"
                difference , ARC = .048" shorter

PPC OAL case length = 1.503"
                ARC OAL case length = 1.490"
                difference, PPC = .013" longer

case diameter at shoulder:
                PPC = .4299"
                ARC = .4301"
                difference, ARC = .002" wider

with the 6PPC, these numbers below are documented, and World Records were set at 600 yds back in 2004.
                - 2800 fps with the 105-107 gr bullets.
                - 3000 fps with 95 gr bullets.

IMO, I'm not impressed with the ARC cartridge simply because it has already been created and proven in the field. Hornady tweaked the case ever so slightly to come up with new SAAMI specs so they wouldn't infringe on the PPC dimensions. Ruger did the exact same thing when they copied Todd Kindler's 20 Tactical and renamed it the 204 Ruger.

This cartridge will likely only be seen in the AR15 / semi-auto platform. It's gonna take an act of congress for rifle manufacturers to chamber it in a bolt action. You have 2 major problems: very odd bolt face which measures .440". Small bolt faces (223 family) measure .378" , and the large bolt face (243, 30-06) which measures .478". Bolt face sizes, extractors, and ejectors will have to be tweaked by manufacturers to pull the ARC case. Additionally, the PPC is a royal PIA to feed effectively through a magazine. 99.99% of the bolt action rifles chambered in PPC are single shot. A repeater with a AI type 5-rd magazine ain't gonna happen without major modifications.
                The CZ and Howa mini actions are already produced for 6.5 Grendel. Just a simple barrel change at that point, but I do agree with the sentiment. I doubt any others are going to be diving off in the 6ARC bolt gun race. I’ve been waiting for this to come out, as it’s been in the works for sometime now and I happen to know a few birdies. I’m thinking 17-18” small frame AR is going to make an excellent night time hog stick.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  The CZ and Howa mini actions are already produced for 6.5 Grendel. Just a simple barrel change at that point, but I do agree with the sentiment. I doubt any others are going to be diving off in the 6ARC bolt gun race..
                  my inside contact at Hornady, Lonnie Hummel retired about 10 years years ago from the custom shop. He was my "go to" for custom dies and first hand info.

I'm familiar with the CZ/Howa "Grendels" but I don't think they have enough bolt action sales for others to follow. The big name manufacturers are controlled by bean counters and investment firms who are unwilling to take a risk. I could see Cooper (family owned) chambering a limited run of rifles to gauge sales.

I hand load and already own 5-6 rifles based on the PPC cartridge. The 6ARC does nothing for me; especially since I sold my black rifles. Just not feeling it as others will jump in with both feet based on the marketing hype

Comment

Interesting cartridge, not for me though.

I saw this earlier and thought it had some good info if you’re interested.

The 6mm ARC was released and Gun University got to go to Barrett to test it out. Check out or full review of the 6 ARC here.

Comment

I’m really surprised someone hasn’t already done this. As much as I love the Grendel, to get max long distance performance it really needs to run 130 class bullets. The problem is due to mag length restrictions that cuts into powder capacity and lowers velocity.

The 6mm 100 class bullets will do well in this cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You would think the little larger 6br w/ the 308 bolt face variant would emerge before the ppc round.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          You would think the little larger 6br w/ the 308 bolt face variant would emerge before the ppc round.
                          Hard to put that in an AR-15 platform. Much lighter than the AR10. Once rainier makes a super match barrel for this one I’ll build one.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Hard to put that in an AR-15 platform. Much lighter than the AR10. Once rainier makes a super match barrel for this one I’ll build one.
                            Why?? Couldn't they go single stack??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              Why?? Couldn't they go single stack??
                              Everything is bigger in the AR10.

Comment

Working...
                              X