Best kids caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best kids caliber?

My 2 boys are 5 and 8, what caliber did y’all start yalls kids out with? Looking for the best all around I can use for deer, small game and predators. What’s yalls opinion?

My boys love shooting the AR 6.8.
    Adjustable stock, & a threaded barrel for quietness. Plus they feel like they are shooting a military rifle......which boys tend to like.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Started all of mine with the same .243. My dad shot his first deer with it, my Mom shot her first deer with it. My brother shot at his first deer with it (he never did kill one). I shot my first deer with it. Kind of a family thing.

Good luck.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        My boys love shooting the AR 6.8.
        Adjustable stock, & a threaded barrel for quietness. Plus they feel like they are shooting a military rifle......which boys tend to like.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        Mine's been shooting a 6.5 Grendel for pretty much all these reasons. No complaints so far. He's killed several pigs with it.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	colt pig 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	24617463

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colt pig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24617464[/ATTACH]

Comment

Best kids caliber?

My daughter now 16 and son now 10 both started and still shoot .243’s
          My daughter shot a pig with my 7-08 last year and she really liked it so I may lose that gun this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by OldRiverRat; 05-15-2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

We started with a cut down Savage .222 bolt. Light and simple.
            Stock really far back. It worked amazingly well.
            But that was pre AR popularity.
            I like the adjustable stock idea.

Then we moved to cut down .243s with 80 grains

Killed tons of pigs and deer with both.
            Broadside and close range with no problems.

BP
            Last edited by Big pig; 05-15-2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

243 is gonna be hard to beat

Comment

.243, will kill anything n most states!

Comment

I was thinking .243 as well...never thought about the 6.5 or 6.8, do those knock kick a little much? Trying to remember the last time I shot one

Comment

6.5 Grendel in either AR platform or Howa or CZ mini action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another AR 6.5 grendel vote. My son shot his first two does with it. 123g sst will knock them down. Haven’t had crazy blood trails but neither went far.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you like the Ar platform, the 224 Valkyrie is a great one. In an AR there is no kick so no fear, no real muzzle rise so staying on target is easy. It is the caliber that my wife has chosen because of those reasons and the fact that every hog, deer and axis deer we have shot has died quickly, well not every hog, I brush stalk with it a lot. You can also shoot at extreme ranges if you want some fun.
                        My wife won't shoot my 6.8, too much kick that comes with the shot for her even in an Ar.

Comment

I started my oldest son at 6 on a .223 AR. He killed a couple hogs. At 8 this past deer season he shot my 6.5 Creedmore and killed his first deer. He doesn’t recall any recoil. Buck Fever takes all of that away!

Comment

Hard to beat the ole .243 Winny... unless you want to do something fancy/new/different, in which case the options are nearly endless depending on how different you want to be.

Comment

If 243.is too big for them they probably too little...Yea I saw the 5y old driving the Lamborghini on Highway in calif....No I ain't against 223/22-250 etc in hands of experienced hunter...

Comment

Working...
                              X