I want a thermal scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a thermal scope

I will am new to this, but I want one. So since Flir has left us civilians to fend for ourselves I don’t know what I want. I really wanted the predator 336( Jason step in when ever you want). All I want is to shoot hogs and find them thru tall grass. I don’t need to record or take pictures. Our lease owner would be very happy with me if I could remove a bunch. What are my choices? ATN is a gamble at best. Is $2500 to little to expect a gadget free thermal?
    Last edited by reddogdan; 04-29-2020, 03:32 PM.

I have been very happy with my Pulsar RXQ30V. I never felt like I needed to upgrade even though I have looked through some of the higher priced units out there. If I do buy something more expensive ill use this as a backup on a second gun or as a spotter.

. Never felt that I needed to upgrade when all I shoot are hogs and coyotes under 100 yds.

Comment

Tall grass is a thermals enemy

My RXQ30V works for me. After using it side by side with a trail xq38 there is no chance I would upgrade without jumping up to a high end unit. I would completely skip the mid range but that is just me.

Comment

Our lease is very thick. So from what I’ve seen, I would need white got for spotting and black hot for shooting

Comment

What kind of battery life do y’all get? Does it come with a mount? I’m putting it on a 700 .270 so I know I would have to grab a picatinny rail.

Comment

I couldn't say for sure on battery. Mine came with a mount but I bought a BOBRO to use instead of the factory.

Comment

Wait for the Pulsar Thermion xq38’s.

Comment

Jason will get you pointed in the right direction. I’d spend a touch more and get a thermion xq38

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                  Wait for the Pulsar Thermion xq38’s.
                  Any particular reason?

Comment

I have a Sig Echo1 and it works good for east Texas, probably up to 150 yard shots. It is a 1-2X.
                    They now have the Echo3s with much improved resolution and magnification. One model is up to 6X and I think the other goes to 12X. The price on Opticsplanet is 3K and 4K respectively.
                    The 1X works really good for scanning to locate critters and you can shoot on higher magnification if you want.
                    The sight is more of a reflex sight than a conventional scope sight. You are looking at a screen similar to a smart phone. If you mount it in the position of a conventional scope, it will be pretty close and if you are old, your eyes may not want to focus good on the screen. I measured the distance and got a pair of reading glasses to see the screen clearly. It works fine for me.
                    Made in USA and I can attest that mine is tough. It rattled around inside my cab along with 18 inch crescent wrenches and other solid stuff while the truck was rolling over. The gunstock took a beating but the sight did not lose zero.

Comment

By the way. Mine uses 123 batteries and I am still using the same pair that I put in last year. I scan and turn it off when I am not scanning. The Echo 3s have an auto on and off feature that turns it on when you move it, so it should be good on batteries.
                      Course, I haven't been hunting since March.

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
                        What kind of battery life do y’all get? Does it come with a mount? I’m putting it on a 700 .270 so I know I would have to grab a picatinny rail.
                        Recoil is a large factor, and a 270 could very well be too much for most units. Make sure you’re rated for it first.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

Recoil is a large factor, and a 270 could very well be too much for most units. Make sure you’re rated for it first.
                          I believe it lists max at .375

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
                            You are gonna get tired of swinging the rifle around to scan, so plan on buying a hand-held thermal scanner too. I have an XQ 50 and one of Jason's least expensive hand-helds. That is way more convenient and saves batteries on the scope. I have a back up battery for my hand held but have never had to use it.

As far as white hot or black hot---I prefer white hot with a black reticle. With black hot, when a sounder shows up I had trouble picking a spot. With white hot is wasn't a problem, for me at least.

On recoil, Jason wouldn't recommend I mount mine on a 12-ga SA.
                            Last edited by dustoffer; 04-29-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Good point about the scanning. I have the grip and frame of a pellet pistol with a short piccatinny on it to use the Sig for scanning. When on the rifle I have a swivel tripod with saddle to hold the weight. Learned real quick that you cant hold steady very long when you scan with the rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X