Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulsar Thermal Questions

Which is better the Apex or the Trail?

I think Apex care that's the highest point of something....

Trail has more features

Comment

Trail supposedly. But I still love my Apex XQ50!

Comment

Than you both!!

There's an Apex XQ38 for sale in the classifieds that I'm interested in.....

Comment

Can't speak for Apex but Trail is awesome

Either will get you on pigs

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
            Can't speak for Apex but Trail is awesome

Either will get you on pigs

^^^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From my limited use with the Apex the Trail kills it. Granted the majority of my use with the Trails are XPs, but I’ve used XQs a little. Couldn’t tell you which Apex’s I’ve ran, but I was less than impressed.

Comment

A trail xq and an apex will have the same image.. trails have internal recording and rechargeable battery packs

Comment

The Late Night Vision Show did a comparison:

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                    The Late Night Vision Show did a comparison:

https://youtu.be/rTHLp_499Wo
                    [emoji848]
                    I didn't see it

Thank you
                    I'll watch it now.

I saw HansEtx review when he got his

Comment

Ok so here is the answer.

The Apexes and Trails were both released in January of 2017. The Apexes were discontinued in December of 2018 and the Trail discontinued in December of 2019. The Trail LRF ("laser range finder") models were announced in January of 2018 and will be discontinued later this year in 2020 as the new Trail LRF 2's are released. There are no Trail 2's....just LRF 2's.

The Apex XQ38 was 100% identical in magnification, image quality and guts to a Trail XQ38. Same for the XQ50 Apex and Trail. New, the Apex XQ39 was $2499 the Trail XQ38 was $3299. The Apex XQ50 was $2799 and the Trail XQ50 was $3799.

The Apexes have no internal video recording options, you need a $200 recorder and a $40 cable to record externally. They do not have the StreamVision smart phone app. The Apexes take 2 CR123A batteries and you cannot use an external USB battery pack. Pulsar did make a $130 and $150 external battery pack option for the Apexes but it too has been discontinued.

The Trails included a removable/rechargeable 6-8 hour battery life, StreamVision app, USB external power options and update-able firmware.

This is the important part....the image quality WAS identical on the Apexes and Trails. However, Pulsar has released the firmware 4.0 version which is a huge image quality update and it applies to the Trails and it made a huge improvement in image quality. The Apex firmware cannot be updated, so it does not have any image quality improvements since it was released.

The Apexes were the very best bargain of any thermal rifle scope ever to hit the market, period. I do not believe we will see another thermal of their quality and reliability in that price range for years to come. The only time the Apexes become less of a "deal" is when you add video recording and external battery packs. You're looking at about $400 to add those two things and at that point, you're getting into used Trail territory.

I hope that info helps.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                        Ok so here is the answer.

The Apexes and Trails were both released in January of 2017. The Apexes were discontinued in December of 2018 and the Trail discontinued in December of 2019. The Trail LRF ("laser range finder") models were announced in January of 2018 and will be discontinued later this year in 2020 as the new Trail LRF 2's are released. There are no Trail 2's....just LRF 2's.

The Apex XQ38 was 100% identical in magnification, image quality and guts to a Trail XQ38. Same for the XQ50 Apex and Trail. New, the Apex XQ39 was $2499 the Trail XQ38 was $3299. The Apex XQ50 was $2799 and the Trail XQ50 was $3799.

The Apexes have no internal video recording options, you need a $200 recorder and a $40 cable to record externally. They do not have the StreamVision smart phone app. The Apexes take 2 CR123A batteries and you cannot use an external USB battery pack. Pulsar did make a $130 and $150 external battery pack option for the Apexes but it too has been discontinued.

The Trails included a removable/rechargeable 6-8 hour battery life, StreamVision app, USB external power options and update-able firmware.

This is the important part....the image quality WAS identical on the Apexes and Trails. However, Pulsar has released the firmware 4.0 version which is a huge image quality update and it applies to the Trails and it made a huge improvement in image quality. The Apex firmware cannot be updated, so it does not have any image quality improvements since it was released.

The Apexes were the very best bargain of any thermal rifle scope ever to hit the market, period. I do not believe we will see another thermal of their quality and reliability in that price range for years to come. The only time the Apexes become less of a "deal" is when you add video recording and external battery packs. You're looking at about $400 to add those two things and at that point, you're getting into used Trail territory.

I hope that info helps.

Jason
                        It does help.
                        Thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X