Man cave compressor recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man cave compressor recommendations

Just got off the welding hood recommendations thread and wanted yalls input for a good all around garage compressor. I need to be able to run pneumatic tools, clean the garage etc. Basically all the things you do as a retired weekend warrior.
    Would like one that is oil free, reasonably quiet, and not cost prohibitive. Having said that what do y’all recommend as far as vertical, horizontal, pancake,capacity, psi etc. Thanks in advance

I always thought if you wanted quiet it had to be oil. I have a stand up 30 gallon and it is so loud you can't talk around it. On the other hand my buddy has a stand up 30 oiled compressor you can have a conversation a few feet from it.
    I'm all ears if there is something I can buy to quiet down my old craftsman.

Comment

Hopefully we will both find out brother! Thanks for your input!

Comment

I have a Harbor Freight that I was gifted from my FIL. It’s had served me well for over ten years now and not needed any work. I use it periodically for the same things you listed. It’s a 20gal I believe.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I have an upright Kobalt 20 gallon that is super loud. Ear plugs are a must when it is running.
          Thinking about building some sort of insulated box to put over it to see if that helps. Most of the time I just roll it outside my workshop and close the garage door most of the way. I'm sure it is helping me win points with the neighbors!!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            I have a Harbor Freight that I was gifted from my FIL. It’s had served me well for over ten years now and not needed any work. I use it periodically for the same things you listed. It’s a 20gal I believe.

Sierracharlie out…

I have a Harbor Freight 26gal as well. I have no problem doing anything you said with it. I also do hydrodipping out of my garage so I also use it to run my HVLP paint guns as well. Mine is the one with oil though.

Comment

I have an 80 gallon Northern Tool model that is somewhat loud but man does it produce some air.

Comment

I have a 60 gallon IR vert installed outside under my lean to, and it still can be annoying. That being said
                .......The best thing I ever did to cut down on compressor noise was to get a battery powered impact!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                  I have a Harbor Freight 26gal as well. I have no problem doing anything you said with it. I also do hydrodipping out of my garage so I also use it to run my HVLP paint guns as well. Mine is the one with oil though.
                  I’ve got the belt driven 29gal HF and it runs great. I like the hour meter and replaceable parts.

As you are shopping around, pay attention to the brand of motor. HF, Dewalt, and I believe it was Rigid all used the exact same motor, so I went with the cheaper paint job and got the HF.

Comment

I put mine in my storage shed and piped the air to the garage, I don’t hear it running at all in the garage.

Comment

Thanks so much gentlemen. It’s not a must that it has to be oil free, just thought that would be one less thing I’d have to jack with. I’ve been told that you buy a H F and use it till it breaks then throw it away and buy another. Sounds like HF is as good as some of the other name brands being sold. So are the oiled compressors quieter than the non oil ones?

Comment

I have a DeWalt 30 gallon from TSC. It's been great. It has oil, but it's pretty darn quiet. I wanted an IR, but got a smoking deal on the DeWalt. I mainly just keep an air chuck on it for the rangers and tractor. All my tools/ impacts are Milwaukee m18, so i hardly use it for running tools. I have ran my framing nailer with it. Obviously worked fine.

Another reason I liked the DeWalt model I got was that it was the largest air compressor I could find with wheels. I never move it, but it's nice to know that I could.
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-31-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

All great info, especially finding out that several of them use the same motor!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            Thanks so much gentlemen. It’s not a must that it has to be oil free, just thought that would be one less thing I’d have to jack with. I’ve been told that you buy a H F and use it till it breaks then throw it away and buy another. Sounds like HF is as good as some of the other name brands being sold. So are the oiled compressors quieter than the non oil ones?

My HF is oiled and loud. But free.99 is free haha. Also if there is a huge price difference I would have no reservations using it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I would suggest not leaving an oil free compressor plugged in all the time so it runs when you don't need it to. Over time the cylinder walls will become scratched, eventually not pump up all the way. In my case both times you could not buy just a cylinder to fix it. Would have been an easy fix if I could have gotten the parts. Now I have a smaller 8 gal portable compressor, but I use the tank off my old 26 gallon one as a volume tank it works OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X