Best short action 30 cal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
    If you already have a 7 and a 300 win, you could step up to the .325wsm. 200 grain Accubond at around 3000fps would be a hammer.
    I’ve always been interested in that chambering, but I guess all the rest of the world wasn’t.

Comment

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for that bolt action 30-30 you've always dreamed of....

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        That’s a long action
        I missed the short action part. You are making this difficult. The only 30 caliber guns I want are a 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby and a 300-378 Weatherby. I have wanted a 300 Savage for years, but would prefer that to be some old rifle, at least 1950s or older. But it might be interesting to see what a modern 300 Savage could do, with a good 5R barrel. I would say 300 Short Mag. but I don't think the performance of a 300 WSM would be all that great with heavier bullets. The larger bullets would likely take up too much of the case capacity. But if you stuck to 150 gr or 165 gr. bullets, then I would think a 300 short mag would be a great choice.

Comment

300 WSM for magnum and 358 Winchester for non magnum

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
            Sounds like a perfect opportunity for that bolt action 30-30 you've always dreamed of....
            Not to sound like Bill Clinton here. But I have never had....dreams of a bolt action 30-30. That’s awful lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              That would be an exciting first shot
              Very exciting. And expensive

Comment

A bolt action in 300 blk out threaded and running a suppressor on the end could be a fun little gun. Or get you a .30-30 like mentioned above cut it short and throw a can on the end. Would be a fun little toy for shooting the short range stuff or just messing around on the range and be cheap to shoot. What the white box .30-30 ammo run these days? Would be real fun if it shot extremely well to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, there is the 300 SAUM. Hate to pay for the ammo, but it's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    A bolt action in 300 blk out threaded and running a suppressor on the end could be a fun little gun. Or get you a .30-30 like mentioned above cut it short and throw a can on the end. Would be a fun little toy for shooting the short range stuff or just messing around on the range and be cheap to shoot. What the white box .30-30 ammo run these days? Would be real fun if it shot extremely well to boot.

I could never, I repeat never, ruin a bartlein 5r blank that is 26 inches long by chambering it in 300 blackout. That’s my personal opinion obviously but from the sounds of the OPs requests he’s not wanting to dribble projectiles downrange either. If he said short action with a 16inch barrel threaded to shoot suppressed then I might agree.

OP With the factory ammo requirement I think the WSM is the safe bet.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I'm going to echo the 300WSM, especially with 26" and a 1:10. I'd highly recommend the Wyatt extended magazine box if you go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by cblackall View Post
                        300 RCM if you’re wanting magnum performance, and something a little bit different.

This, performance equals a 30/06 but in a 20” tube. Would make a sweet little whitetail gun.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          I could never, I repeat never, ruin a bartlein 5r blank that is 26 inches long by chambering it in 300 blackout. That’s my personal opinion obviously but from the sounds of the OPs requests he’s not wanting to dribble projectiles downrange either. If he said short action with a 16inch barrel threaded to shoot suppressed then I might agree.

OP With the factory ammo requirement I think the WSM is the safe bet.

Sierracharlie out…
                          Exactly. No way would I waste THAT barrel on a 300 blackout. Also, he doesn't have a bolt head for it.

Comment

Love my APR 300WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              I missed the short action part. You are making this difficult. The only 30 caliber guns I want are a 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby and a 300-378 Weatherby. I have wanted a 300 Savage for years, but would prefer that to be some old rifle, at least 1950s or older. But it might be interesting to see what a modern 300 Savage could do, with a good 5R barrel. I would say 300 Short Mag. but I don't think the performance of a 300 WSM would be all that great with heavier bullets. The larger bullets would likely take up too much of the case capacity. But if you stuck to 150 gr or 165 gr. bullets, then I would think a 300 short mag would be a great choice.
                              The 200 and heavier grain pills do perform very well actually. Especially at distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                                Exactly. No way would I waste THAT barrel on a 300 blackout. Also, he doesn't have a bolt head for it.
                                It would be a waste as THAT barrel doesn't have a fast enough twist for a 300 BO to be able to shoot heavy subs.

RifleBowPistol

The 300Wby can certainly be had in a short action but it will be a single shot. I have an older Rem 40X in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X