Savin money while shooting coyotes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savin money while shooting coyotes!!

Didn't want to hijack the poor man's double yote thread so started this one to share a similar experience...

On a recent trip to the ranch in far southeast Webb County, was sitting in my tower stand to sort of "get the big picture" so I could figure out which of a couple areas I might want to hunt (bowhunt) the next day... Our rut was going on pretty good and I was seeing some nice animals. It was an exciting Friday afternoon hunt! I was glassing a real nice buck that was a couple hundred yards out and saw in the top of the field of view of my binoculars, another buck, so I switched my focus to him...

He was a smaller young buck but he was acting really nervous... All of a sudden he turned and bolted back into the thick brush where I could no longer see him and at the same time, the biggun I'd been watching make his way to my feeder, ran right through the field of view of my binoculars like he'd been shot at... Wind was good and I was in a totally enclosed metal insulated box 13 feet up in the air 250+ yards away...

Could not figure out what has spooked the deer so badly. I had seen a coyote near the tank dam that was close by, but deer don't usually spook like that from just a yote... I fact the opposite often happens. the dang deer will literally chase the yotes off...

Well I continued to watch this area and after about 15 minutes I saw three yotes come flying across the big opening that the deer had been in only just a bit farther out. Turns out they were either trying to rut themselves or were enjoying themselves just running around... They played around in that opening a bit and I got my camera/tripod lined up on the area and my rifle trained to the general area... Well, two of the coyotes came screaming across the opening and I jumped on the rifle... figured it was just too much action and too far out to ever get any decent video of a shot or anything so I didn't mess with the camera after that.

After about another 3 or 4 minutes I got my rifle trained on one of the coyotes, what appeared to be a very large one as it ran across the opening. Now this "opening" was not a field or anything like that. It was scattered dead huisache and other brush that had been killed off by the dirt tank being flooded out for a year or so. the water killed all the brush so the area is pretty open and stretches for probably an area that is 150 yards wide by 350-400 yards long. I can pretty much see the whole thing from my tower stand. Anyway, as I was following this yote with my rifle scope, he ran by another one that was stopped and they both began to run circles around each other. I kept my rifle always on the same one.

After about half a dozen good playful circles, they both stopped dead still, one directly behind the other.... I was ready and squeezed off the shot. In the scope, as the AR-10T recoiled, I saw one of them go DRT. I did not see the other one. I scoured the area for the other one both with scope and naked eye... nothing. After a minute or two, I began to look for the one I knew went down... could not see hide nor hair of it either... I broke out my phone and jumped on the text my buddies and I had running and told them I just hammered a yote at over 250 yards and there were two of them and I tried to line them both up and may have gotten them both... I was as nervous as if I'd just shot that big ol' buck that I'd been watching!! Don't really know why, but I was sure excited about the possibility of a coyote double, 2 for 1!! It was getting on toward sundown by this time so I climbed down with my rifle and walked to the area and finally found the coyote I shot, and just behind him was the other one!! Both of them were shot right through the shoulders and stone cold dead. It was a pair and I figured they had makin' puppies on their mind to have just been out there playing like they were. Anyway it was one of my most memorable shots ever with a rifle and my first kill with this gun. It's a Armalite AR-10T with a 20" SS barrel, Timney 2.5# drop in trigger topped with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 LR/T with a mil/mil reticle... It has always shot real good and it sure hit its mark on this hunt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	25239646

This is a pic looking from the yotes back to my tower stand.

Name:	InkedIMG_4505_LI.jpg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	25239647

This is a pic thru my range finder back to my tower from the yotes lying where they fell...

Name:	IMG_4506.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	25239648

Name:	IMG_4531.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	25239649

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	25239650

Congratulations and good write up.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Didn't want to hijack the poor man's double yote thread so started this one to share a similar experience...

On a recent trip to the ranch in far southeast Webb County, was sitting in my tower stand to sort of "get the big picture" so I could figure out which of a couple areas I might want to hunt (bowhunt) the next day... Our rut was going on pretty good and I was seeing some nice animals. It was an exciting Friday afternoon hunt! I was glassing a real nice buck that was a couple hundred yards out and saw in the top of the field of view of my binoculars, another buck, so I switched my focus to him...

He was a smaller young buck but he was acting really nervous... All of a sudden he turned and bolted back into the thick brush where I could no longer see him and at the same time, the biggun I'd been watching make his way to my feeder, ran right through the field of view of my binoculars like he'd been shot at... Wind was good and I was in a totally enclosed metal insulated box 13 feet up in the air 250+ yards away...

Could not figure out what has spooked the deer so badly. I had seen a coyote near the tank dam that was close by, but deer don't usually spook like that from just a yote... I fact the opposite often happens. the dang deer will literally chase the yotes off...

Well I continued to watch this area and after about 15 minutes I saw three yotes come flying across the big opening that the deer had been in only just a bit farther out. Turns out they were either trying to rut themselves or were enjoying themselves just running around... They played around in that opening a bit and I got my camera/tripod lined up on the area and my rifle trained to the general area... Well, two of the coyotes came screaming across the opening and I jumped on the rifle... figured it was just too much action and too far out to ever get any decent video of a shot or anything so I didn't mess with the camera after that.

After about another 3 or 4 minutes I got my rifle trained on one of the coyotes, what appeared to be a very large one as it ran across the opening. Now this "opening" was not a field or anything like that. It was scattered dead huisache and other brush that had been killed off by the dirt tank being flooded out for a year or so. the water killed all the brush so the area is pretty open and stretches for probably an area that is 150 yards wide by 350-400 yards long. I can pretty much see the whole thing from my tower stand. Anyway, as I was following this yote with my rifle scope, he ran by another one that was stopped and they both began to run circles around each other. I kept my rifle always on the same one.

After about half a dozen good playful circles, they both stopped dead still, one directly behind the other.... I was ready and squeezed off the shot. In the scope, as the AR-10T recoiled, I saw one of them go DRT. I did not see the other one. I scoured the area for the other one both with scope and naked eye... nothing. After a minute or two, I began to look for the one I knew went down... could not see hide nor hair of it either... I broke out my phone and jumped on the text my buddies and I had running and told them I just hammered a yote at over 250 yards and there were two of them and I tried to line them both up and may have gotten them both... I was as nervous as if I'd just shot that big ol' buck that I'd been watching!! Don't really know why, but I was sure excited about the possibility of a coyote double, 2 for 1!! It was getting on toward sundown by this time so I climbed down with my rifle and walked to the area and finally found the coyote I shot, and just behind him was the other one!! Both of them were shot right through the shoulders and stone cold dead. It was a pair and I figured they had makin' puppies on their mind to have just been out there playing like they were. Anyway it was one of my most memorable shots ever with a rifle and my first kill with this gun. It's a Armalite AR-10T with a 20" SS barrel, Timney 2.5# drop in trigger topped with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 LR/T with a mil/mil reticle... It has always shot real good and it sure hit its mark on this hunt!

[ATTACH]1038543[/ATTACH]

This is a pic looking from the yotes back to my tower stand.

[ATTACH]1038544[/ATTACH]

This is a pic thru my range finder back to my tower from the yotes lying where they fell...

[ATTACH]1038545[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1038546[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1038547[/ATTACH]

I had the same happen with 2 Bobcats this year. Just as shooting one another walked out behind the other one which had sat down but one moved as I shot. But I can only kill one a year here legally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Them are pretty yotes for Texas too! Nice shootin, sir.

My dad shot 2 with 1 shot a couple years ago, both setting down facing him, both shot right in the chest. Turns out one yote will not stop a .257 Weatherby, but it sure makes a mess out of the 2nd one.

Comment

Great write up, and good shooting' too! Congrats on that double.

Comment

I was there and I will say it was a heck of a hunt and Charlie just smoked those yotes! They got caped out as well......indeed nice Capes

Comment

Good shooting Charlie!

Comment

That was awesome thanks for sharing!

Comment

It was a cool shot, but it really wasn't a hard shot. Shooting with a tripod mounted gun is almost like sandbags at the range... Here's the set up. This is a different rifle, but same tripod, camera and same stand/window where I took the shot from... That tripod is soooo smooth and it's rock solid to shoot off of. The rifle in the pic is an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC from AR Performance and I've done 200 yard head shots on yotes, hogs and does with it. The double yote shot was the Armalite AR-10T mentioned, but same tripod. That sucker weighs a tad over 11 pounds and that tripod is even more stable with the added weight.
                  Kind'a like my dad used to say, "Man, you gotta practice to miss!"

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	24641885

Name:	IMG_4214.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24641886

Comment

That's good stuff Charlie. Great writeup.

>E

Comment

That's awesome! I've only shot two in one shot once and I didn't even find both of them.

Know a guy that killed two in one shot that were running. Shot them with a 25-06. Getting them lined up just perfect is hard enough. On the run is pure luck. The ones I shot through were pure luck too though.

Comment

Good stuff Charlie!!! and great shootin

Comment

nice

Comment

What a fun read. Great shootin' (and sweet set-up!) for sure! If Ize to ever pull that off....I'd be smiling!!!

Comment

Great stuff Charlie and walking us through the kill.

Sure would be neat if there was a recorded option to hear the hunter spin their tale. It would bring more color and excitement to the hunt. Well at least to me it would.

Comment

Working...
                              X