Cabbage Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabbage Sausage

Who'ed a thunk it, but my dearly departed neighbor was right.

My neighbor was born and raised in a house next to my place, and didn't even speak English until he got into kindergarten.

We became good friends when he found out I could speak a little German with him!

For several years he had told me about his family stretched their pork sausage yield by adding a large head of diced cabbage to a 10lb recipe of their smoked sausage, and how good it was.

I finally tried it, and it's really, really good!

5lbs Deer or Elk
    5lbs pork shoulder or pork trimmings
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons kosher salt (don’t ask me why, I’m just doing what I was taught)
    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    6 tablespoons fine ground black or white pepper
    1 teaspoon coriander
    4 teaspoons mace
    1 teaspoon allspice
    12 large cloves fresh garlic, finely pressed
    2 teaspoon Instacure or Prague powder #1
    2.5 cups Shiner Bock Beer
    1 large head of green or purple cabbage (medium chopped)

Cut meat it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the course plate of your meat grinder.
    Combine the spices and garlic in a bowl and mix with the 2.5 cups of Shiner Bock Beer.
    Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 3 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
    Run the mixture through the fine plate of your meat grinder.
    Add the cabbage to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
    Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.
    Stuff it in natural casings and apply your favorite light smoking technique and grill it later or just grill it unsmoked.

I do believe I will be trying this next month, sounds good.

Comment

I’m going to be trying this very soon

Comment

I love getting old family recipes! Great post.

Comment

All the years I've been making sausage ( 40 something ) I have never heard of mixing cabbage in with the sausage....but I am for sure gonna give it a try, thanks for sharing.

Comment

We made batches with cabbage and green onion the past couple years. It’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hruska's store in Ellinger sells a sausage and cabbage kolache (if you want to try it before you make a batch)

Comment

I can’t wait to try it.

Comment

Wonder how it would be with drained sauerkraut in place of cabbage?

Comment

Adding the mace to the spices makes it sound more like bratwurst than traditional smoked sausage. Will have to give this a try.

Comment

Made a batch of this today! Gonna smoked it tomorrow, The jury's still out! Stay tuned

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                        Made a batch of this today! Gonna smoked it tomorrow, The jury's still out! Stay tuned
                        What say the jury?

Comment

I'm not a fan of the spice package. Not saying it's bad but if I go to the trouble of making sausage it's gonna be a different flavor. I am a big fan of adding the cabbage though!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X