Dolphin Docks 36hr-3/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin Docks 36hr-3/12

I booked the 36hr tuna trip for next weekend on the Dolphin Express with my GF and sister. Any fellow TBH's going?

Also any input on gear? jigs and rod/reel combos

DD said all there rental gear was destroyed from Harvey but said the boat rods would work but want to be somewhat prepared, but I haven't been on anything more than a 12hr snapper trip.

Thanks fellas

Search member Atthewall on here. He has several threads of the TBH trips with DDocks. Lots of info on them.

Comment

Sounds like great fun on the horizon.

Harvey was in 2017, they haven’t replaced rental gear in 3.5 years??

Comment

Iowa. The head boats are running on fumes. Hurricane- the town still shows damage from it. Closed doors and complete rebuild of dock and storefront. So i can understand how they have limited gear to rent now

Comment

What boat you going on and how many people on the trip? Using the boats gear will work but limit lures you can use. The amount of people on the boat also determines what you can do. I'd probably pick up a few diamond jigs for blackfin and fish bait for yellowfin. The deck hands will get you rigged up for that. I hope yall have a great trip!

Comment

Thanks killer, I checked out his post. Great info!

Doug, it’ll be on the dolphin express. I believe 15 or 16 people. I’ll definitely buy some jigs. I may try to buy a set up or 2. Would be great if I could get some reels that would work for this trip and also add the reels to my surf set.

Comment

Following! I need to deaux this trip .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s your budget? Tuna gear is not cheap. I run saltigas and black hole rods.

You can get by with some surf gear but it is going to be heavy to jig or cast all night. Slammer 5500 with 50 lb braid and a tiger stick jigging rod will get you by if you don’t hook a monster. I would suggest some Halco max 130’s and 190’s if you can cast on that boat.

Comment

Get on boat and get a bed ASAP before they are all taken. Put your bags on it to reserve it.

Have numerous new jigging baits with single hooks, never used if interested. Send a PM if you want picks

Comment

Originally posted by fishycatfish View Post
                    Thanks killer, I checked out his post. Great info!

Doug, it’ll be on the dolphin express. I believe 15 or 16 people. I’ll definitely buy some jigs. I may try to buy a set up or 2. Would be great if I could get some reels that would work for this trip and also add the reels to my surf set.
                    Good boat and great captain! Timmy will do everything he can to put yall on the fish!

Ace's recommendation on the Halco's is good advice. Cast them and also troll them as the boat is readjusting between drifts.

Comment

Keep us posted! I hate I never got in on one of the TBH tuna trips! That seems the way to go. I know too many people that have paid $3-4k to go out for a day and catch nothing. Boo.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                        What’s your budget? Tuna gear is not cheap. I run saltigas and black hole rods.

You can get by with some surf gear but it is going to be heavy to jig or cast all night. Slammer 5500 with 50 lb braid and a tiger stick jigging rod will get you by if you don’t hook a monster. I would suggest some Halco max 130’s and 190’s if you can cast on that boat.
                        As far as budget I guess around $400 on the top end for a combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                          Keep us posted! I hate I never got in on one of the TBH tuna trips! That seems the way to go. I know too many people that have paid $3-4k to go out for a day and catch nothing. Boo.
                          I will for sure! I know, I've seen those but every time there is a opening it would never work with my schedule. Looks like they have a fantastic time!

Comment

Originally posted by fishycatfish View Post
                            As far as budget I guess around $400 on the top end for a combo.
                            For $400 I don’t think that you can beat a penn slammer 5500 with 50 lb braid or a penn slammer 6500 with 65 lb braid. Look for a used reel, most of the time people buy them and don’t use them. Pair either of those with a tiger stick elite jigging rod. Don’t buy the cheap Chinese braid. I prefer hollow core, but with your budget I would spool on powerpro or daiwa braid. Buy some good fluorocarbon leader material around 80 lb test. Learn to tie an FG knot. It looks hard but Is very simple. I can tie it in the dark now. Tie on about 4-6 feet of fluorocarbon to your braid. I would not use any connectors or swivels. Please tie on your jigs and lures with the hooks not attached. I had a pretty bad experience on my kayak tying a jig on. I caught the treble all the way to bend on a big treble hook. My brother ended up getting it out of me about 4 hours and six beers later. Get some good split ring pliers. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                              For $400 I don’t think that you can beat a penn slammer 5500 with 50 lb braid or a penn slammer 6500 with 65 lb braid. Look for a used reel, most of the time people buy them and don’t use them. Pair either of those with a tiger stick elite jigging rod. Don’t buy the cheap Chinese braid. I prefer hollow core, but with your budget I would spool on powerpro or daiwa braid. Buy some good fluorocarbon leader material around 80 lb test. Learn to tie an FG knot. It looks hard but Is very simple. I can tie it in the dark now. Tie on about 4-6 feet of fluorocarbon to your braid. I would not use any connectors or swivels. Please tie on your jigs and lures with the hooks not attached. I had a pretty bad experience on my kayak tying a jig on. I caught the treble all the way to bend on a big treble hook. My brother ended up getting it out of me about 4 hours and six beers later. Get some good split ring pliers. Good luck.
                              Thank you, sir. I’ll definitely try to find the slammer. I found on an offshore forum they were recommending the ocean master set ups from bass pro. Any insight on those?

Comment

Working...
                              X