Caldo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caldo

Wife wants to make caldo (some kinda Mexican soup) with the venison shanks and sirloin roast from the hind quarter...shes done it before with beef and it was excellent...I worry these cuts may be too lean for such a meal and don't want her experimenting and wasting time cooking all day to be chewing on something the consistency of my boot when its all done...I praised her for the grand plan but wonder what will come of this....anyone tried this before?

Meh....let her cook. Tell her it's great.
    If it's no good? Remind her next time. Lol

Comment

I’ve made it before with sirloin roast. If it’s cooked long enough it will be tender.

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
        Wife wants to make caldo (some kinda Mexican soup) with the venison shanks and sirloin roast from the hind quarter...shes done it before with beef and it was excellent...I worry these cuts may be too lean for such a meal and don't want her experimenting and wasting time cooking all day to be chewing on something the consistency of my boot when its all done...I praised her for the grand plan but wonder what will come of this....anyone tried this before?
        I was thinking de res.
        It's gonna take a looooong time for that venison to break down. I'd say 4-6 hours.
        Yup. That long.
        You know in caldo you want that meat so where when you touch it with a spoon it fails apart.
        Very very soft.
        Nothing though/chewy.

Comment

Wife made some last night with beef, used the instant pot to prep the beef. Then cooked all the veggies and what not in a pot.

Comment

My wife last night made some caldo de pollo with veggies and conchitas. I ate way too much...

Comment

I told her it was gonna be a marathon of meat cooking....she usually listens to nothing I say....I guess only time will tell....literally......

on another note, took the boy for some fun on the 4 wheeler on the icy wet grass in the field down the street. I think he saw snow when he was 4 but this may be his first snow experience he will remember
              Attached Files

Comment

It could work but like others have said it’s gonna be a long boil.

Comment

Open mouth, insert foot....its amazing and tender...not bad work for a girl that doesn't speak a lick of spanish...eating now in dark with my headlamp on
                  ...hit the spot
                  Attached Files

Comment

As many have said, it is all about letting the meat cook long enough to get tender. This is the key to cooking the cheaper meats and the leaner meats. But well worth the time when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                      Open mouth, insert foot....its amazing and tender...not bad work for a girl that doesn't speak a lick of spanish...eating now in dark with my headlamp on
                      ...hit the spot
                      Man !
                      That looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by diamonde40 View Post
                        As many have said, it is all about letting the meat cook long enough to get tender. This is the key to cooking the cheaper meats and the leaner meats. But well worth the time when it's done.
                        Yep. Converting that collagen (connective tissue) into gelatin takes lots of time and heat, but definitely worth it.

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

Working...
                          X