Feeder Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Maintenance

Besides just filling your feeder with corn and keeping it running what other kind of maintenance do you do to it and the areas immediately around it. I was thinking about mowing the grass that isn't directly under the feeder this weekend and wasn't sure if that's a good idea or not. Or if there's some other chores that might be more beneficial to help bring in more deer and make them comfortable.

I have been trying to avoid anything to disturb the clearing I placed my feeder this year, but was forced to mow it yesterday. The weeds and trash growing up were getting so high I couldn't shoot from my ground stand if a deer was at the feeder. I bet the deer will adjust to the difference after a day or so.

Comment

Trim cedar or other brush in areas where I will be shooting.

Comment

I clean out any caked up feed in the feed tubes with a screwdriver, then I have a custom made broom with a long PVC handle that I use to sweep out any old feed down into the feed tubes so only fresh feed is inside after the re-fill. Fill in any low spots around/under feed tubes and then refill.

For the battery powered feeders I just blow or sweep off the control unit and timer, check the battery power and solar unit wires and then refill.

Comment

My feeder in penned to keep the cows out and I turn it off from Jan-July with free choice protein running at a different location.

As a result the grass gets so tall and thick that most of the corn is lost. I sprayed the area twice with roundup then buzzed it with a week wacker. Once the feeder is running they keep the grass short on their own. I also installed a Krivoman Direction unit this year.

I always carry a spare hot battery, wasp spray and a can of flex seal just in case along with some basic hand tools and fencing tools.
          Attached Files

Comment

I mow around mine as needed. Also I move it 10' or so if the feed starts to sour under from rain or sometime rake the old corn/feed out away from it.

Comment

The above device is good. Only other thing I do is clean the solar panel.
              I have a couple of ultramatics that never need to be touched.

Comment

Working...
              X