No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had several folks contact me regarding video's from the farm. I hope to make one from this season.

However I have made a video from the 2013 season at my brush country ranch. It has numerous bucks from the 170's to over 200". I take some of the better bucks and trace them back several years showing how their body and rack change seasonally. I also discuss the management philosophies we employ to grow these bucks.

If any interest in a copy, PM me and we can discuss. It's about 54 mins.Also has some cool video of a mountain lion walking by a bow blind.

Comment

^^^^^trust me its worth every penny! Awesome video!

Comment

you have a truly 5 star whitetail outfit, never see a low fence ranch quite like it. congrats on the 2 over 200 inches already this year. following along to see what else gets a dirt nap!

Comment

I'm interested in a video

Comment

Very good thread>? And Very Cool Place!

I did not realize you were so close.
            Im just on the other end of Catahoula Lake from you. LaSalle Parish.

Fine Buck Deers you have there!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
              Very good thread>! And Very Cool Place!

I did not realize you were so close.
              Im just on the other end of Catahoula Lake from you. LaSalle Parish.

Fine Buck Deers you have there!
              Sorry I hit a question mark. I fixed!!!! lol

Comment

Following

Comment

Cool stuff thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Rusty.....curious how well they eat your radishes?

I planted some Groundhog Radishes 2 years go and they would just barely nibble at the tops. The bulbs got huge (some were over 2 feet long) and they never touched them even after it got cold.

Of course they had never seen a radish before and didn't know what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      He's bigger than I thought!

I was walking down a woods road at daylight this morning and spotted Lopsided walking away around a curve. Dropped my cushion, thermos, rattling horns and started sneaking up on him. Moved forward maybe 40 or 50 yards , looked again and he was straight on staring at me.

He then turned and started walking off the road and I dropped to my belly popped out the bi pods and grunted at him. He stopped just as he was going out of sight and I shot.

It was very early so I went back and had a cup of tea then went to look. I went in where I thought he had gone and spent an hour looking before I found him. Seems I picked the wrong spot where he went in. He had run about 75 yds.

I'm still shaking!

221 gross
                      203 6/8 as a 10 pt.
                      17 2/8" 'trash'. Has some points off back of beam that are hidden
                      27"+ mainbeams
                      49" mass
                      21 4/8" inside spread
                      6 yrs old
                      What a freakin monster!! Congrats on a great buck! It truly is amazing what you have done with your herd.

Comment

Still in awe of just how big that deer is!

Comment

It's peak of the rut here and the bucks have gone crazy! Seeing mature bucks every time we go on the farm anytime of day. Most are locked on does. It's as if a tornado hit the farm and scattered the bucks all over the place. Many are no where near where they spent the summer.

The woods are full of acorns thus the green fields aren't seeing a lot of activity. Get in the woods though and it's a different story. Not rattling mature bucks now, mostly youngsters.

We have shifted from does harvest...17 so far...to culling. As mentioned our approach is to remove the bottom end of mature bucks. We don't shoot any youngsters. Here's an example of the type of bucks we are targeting . Very mature probably 6 yr old or older .
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow!

Comment

If you Get tired of shooting all those junky culls, I'll drive over and kill a few of those lower 150 class 8 points!

Comment

Nice "cull"

Comment

Working...
                                X