Birthright citizenship to be eliminated by EO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthright citizenship to be eliminated by EO

Trump plans on using an executive order to eliminate birthright citizenship. This will be a huge legal battle and it needs to be addressed through the Congress.
    I do agree that it needs to be eliminated.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

It needs to be done but ultimately won’t happrn anytime. Some liberal judge will block it and will eventually be heard at the Suprene Court

Comment

Amendment

I'm pretty sure it would have to be done by amending the constitution (that's a big hurdle). Now what I'd really love to see done is for congress to get rid of the executive order. The president (regardless of party) was never meant to make laws. Nothing we've seen in the last several decades goes against the founders' original intent than the executive order.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
        I'm pretty sure it would have to be done by amending the constitution (that's a big hurdle). Now what I'd really love to see done is for congress to get rid of the executive order. The president (regardless of party) was never meant to make laws. Nothing we've seen in the last several decades goes against the founders' original intent than the executive order.
        I agree. This would be an extemely dangerous precedent & it seems like a ridiculous stunt.

If a president could just change the constitution via EO, the next president could presumably just do away with the 2nd and “take arrrrr gunnnnnzzz!”.

Comment

Here's a good constitutional explanation (and Mark Levin rant) of the citizenship birthright

Comment

agreed!

Comment

I agree with donpablo. Remember how much we hated Obama's executive orders? What he could not get done through congress he did with his pen. That is dangerous and unconstitutional no matter who does it. There has long been a debate about the meaning of this statement in the 14th:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

The argument mostly hinges on the original meaning of "subject to the jurisdiction thereof". Some contend that the 14th Amendment was only intended to provide citizenship to children born in the U.S. to lawful permanent residents — not to unauthorized immigrants or those on temporary visas. The court has already ruled that children of immigrants that are legal permanent residence have citizenship. However there has been no ruling on a case specifically involving undocumented immigrants or those with temporary legal status. That will come, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                The argument mostly hinges on the original meaning of "subject to the jurisdiction thereof". Some contend that the 14th Amendment was only intended to provide citizenship to children born in the U.S. to lawful permanent residents — not to unauthorized immigrants or those on temporary visas. The court has already ruled that children of immigrants that are legal permanent residence have citizenship. However there has been no ruling on a case specifically involving undocumented immigrants or those with temporary legal status. That will come, I reckon.
                The 14th was put in place to give slaves full citizenship
                Without it, slaves weren't actually "citizens"
                They were property like cattle and horses

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  I agree. This would be an extemely dangerous precedent & it seems like a ridiculous stunt.

If a president could just change the constitution via EO, the next president could presumably just do away with the 2nd and “take arrrrr gunnnnnzzz!”.
                  Agree but if nothing else will get the citizenship debate spotlighted

Comment

Trump just lost the election for Cruz by doing this. Way too many Hispanic voters will not like this.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                      Trump just lost the election for Cruz by doing this. Way too many Hispanic voters will not like this.
                      I don't believe that.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Only should be used in a crisis situation and EO's should never be permanent.
                        Time limits and term limits.

Comment

EO can’t MAKE law, it can only modify existing law. And it can be overturned/rolled back with the next administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

EO's should only be used to protect the citizens of the USA against any and all threats foreign or domestic. Should never be used to further a parties agenda like stopping the building of a pipeline or drilling for oil or building a road blah blah blah. The president's job is to protect us and he should be able to issue orders to do so but not to satisfy his whims or those of his party.

If congress was doing it's job there would be no need for most EO's.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X