Barr Hogs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barr Hogs???

Any body familiar or experience with BARR HOGS?

We trapped a 50 lb boar last weekend and castrated him! My son said in a few years we'll have a BARR HOG.

From what I've read it makes them eat more, fight less and grow to be huge!!

Next time we trap one and castrate em' we are going to tag him!

We just use to cut their ears. But yes they get fatter and less potent than a boar hog.

Comment

Your son is correct. You now have a barr hog. Depends on what all they have to eat will depend on big they grow in shorter period of time. He’ll be some good eating too now if you catch or kill him.

Comment

Put a notch or mark on their ear so you can tell if its one that you have caught before. Supposedly they taste a lot better than a boar with his equipment. Hope this helps. I shot one and he was HUGE and his ears were all chewed up from the catch dogs.
        Attached Files

Comment

You are making him a barrow. Yes, he will loose the desire to fight and breed, more content to just worry about eating and surviving. Castrating hogs and turning them loose is not a practice that I want on any ranches that we operate. If you want to cut them, cut their throats and let them bleed out. Our problem out here is that we have too many hogs and if we don't remove 75% of them annually, we are loosing ground.
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

And you are still releasing a huge nuisance to landowners. I agree with Gary.

I will never understand why people do that. Do people really trap and / or kill the ones they release a few years later?

Comment

If you want good eating, just get you a domestic hog and kill it. Eliminate every feral hog you can, if you want better deer hunting.

Comment

I’ve trapped and castrated 100’s of hogs over many years. I cut them then notched their ear.

I quit that process at least 7 or 8 years ago. Nowadays hogs are so plentiful I kill them all when I catch them.

That being said, a barr hog is some of the best eating hog you will ever find. I’d recommend catching one and feeding him out yourself in a pen if you have a place for it. I’ve done that too. It doesn’t take but a couple months to fatten one up when they are in a pen.

Comment

I may have picked up a BAR HAWG once.

Comment

I trapped one that someone else had cut. It weighed close to 400 pounds and was blubber fat. Sold it, so can’t testify to the better taste. But it was by far the biggest pig 🐖 ever caught.

Comment

Yep. Barr hog. Either notch his ears or cut off his tail. Or both. That way, if you're wanting to shoot it, you'll be able to pick him out of a crowd a little better. Although they do have a tendency to be loners.

We don't trap on our place, but a neighbor does. And they let go a barr. My BIL killed him and he was huge.

Comment

I’ve killed 2 both topped 300. Seen one in a tournament that broke 360. If anyone traps a hog on my property and release it for any reason they will never set foot on my land.

As far as 75%. Lol….. I’m currently killing around 400% and numbers are growing. Texas hunters couldn’t handle what it would take to just slow them down, much less get ahead

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post

From what I've read it makes them eat more, fight less and grow to be huge!!
                          Sounds like most of my married friends.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                            Sounds like most of my married friends.
                            Lol

Comment

Got one at the ranch. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_201210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	24665063

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X