Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't forget to protest your property taxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget to protest your property taxes.

Taxman cometh hard again this year. Do your part to keep them in check for yourself and your neighbor.

I felt it more this yr than ever... my values here in Austin have doubled in the last 4 years to the point that it is seriously unaffordable for a single person to own a house and some land.

Comment

Mine are the same. Small town living

Comment

My office building went up $600k and on a recent appraisal at the bank is worth $700k less than what the city is saying. Also, went up $120k on a vacant lot I own. My restaurant went down $80k which is near the vacant lot and on a prime corner. They must like my cheeseburgers! Haha. This is in New Braunfels
        Last edited by Mexdeer19; 04-15-2021, 12:46 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
          I felt it more this yr than ever... my values here in Austin have doubled in the last 4 years to the point that it is seriously unaffordable for a single person to own a house and some land.

Get a sugar mama [emoji1787]

Comment

Had to re-apply for ag exemption this year, was nervous at first but turned out to be a great deal because we were able to clean up some things that were not filed correctly when we broke out the home site and saved on taxes

Comment

Here's what people always forget. Fighting your appraisal is only half the battle. Nobody bothers to show up when the city, county, etc. has their budget hearings. That's the one that matters. If all the appraisals go up the tax rate should come down. But they don't. It's always a windfall for the taxing entities because nobody shows up to demand that the tax rate be adjusted downward when appraisals get raised. Politicians bloviate about the great job they are doing because they kept the tax rate the same. Show up at the budget hearings and demand that they make do with what they collected the previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                Same. Ours in San Antonio has more than doubled in 5 years. I'm getting ready to sell so yay for me but sucks for taxes

Comment

Got ours today. Value in 2020 was 378,714. We bought the place in Jan 2020 and it appraised by the bank at 425,000. Appraisal for 2021 is 441,919.

Yes I am going to fight this. Total BS!

Comment

Ours took a huge jump this year. It actually says on the form that “market change” from 2016 is 960.76%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Here's what people always forget. Fighting your appraisal is only half the battle. Nobody bothers to show up when the city, county, etc. has their budget hearings. That's the one that matters. If all the appraisals go up the tax rate should come down. But they don't. It's always a windfall for the taxing entities because nobody shows up to demand that the tax rate be adjusted downward when appraisals get raised. Politicians bloviate about the great job they are doing because they kept the tax rate the same. Show up at the budget hearings and demand that they make do with what they collected the previous year.
                      How successful is this argument? If the appraisals are going up, its usually a sign that more people are moving to the area which would then mean more public services are required (better roads, schools, etc.). So I would think the budget committee would work to at least hold the tax rate the same to accommodate the increased need for public services. Perhaps my thinking is flawed but curious to your thoughts.

Comment

Last year mine basically stayed the same, this year it went up, but still under market value and less than it was appraised for when we refinanced this past year. I’ll just keep my mouth shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
                          How successful is this argument? If the appraisals are going up, its usually a sign that more people are moving to the area which would then mean more public services are required (better roads, schools, etc.). So I would think the budget committee would work to at least hold the tax rate the same to accommodate the increased need for public services. Perhaps my thinking is flawed but curious to your thoughts.
                          You would probably be surprised what's in their budgets. Just a smaller version of congressional budgets. Always places where money is being spent that isn't necessary. Do you thing that the federal government is the only ones that have "pork" in them. Would you let someone control your bank account and never check to see where the money is being spent. Yet nobody cares when it comes to local government spending their tax dollars. Budget hearings are open to the public. Hardly anybody shows up. If enough people showed interest things could change for the better.

Comment

My house here in league city, has always been well below market, this year took the big jump, probably right in line with the market, possibly a little less. Still gonna protest.
                            Now the house in Burnet county has sky rocketed, but so has the the market value.

Comment

Originally posted by hchntr View Post
                              My house here in league city, has always been well below market, this year took the big jump, probably right in line with the market, possibly a little less. Still gonna protest.
                              Now the house in Burnet county has sky rocketed, but so has the the market value.

I’m in Burnet count and they think my house and property are covered in gold.
                              Just about to run us out of the area. Sick of this money grab!

Comment

Working...
                              X