Question for vets with disability rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for vets with disability rating

Have a question for retired service members who have a disability rating and are receiving both a retired pension for their service and a VA disability check.

I was told when I retired 11 years ago that if I received any payment from the VA then my military retirement would go down by whatever amount the VA gave me. But now I am working with some younger guys who all were in either Iraq or Afghanistan and they are telling me that is false.

I know we have a bunch of retired military here and was wondering what’s been yalls take on this?

My father retired after 34 years in the service and got his full retirement and 100% disability from his injuries in vietnam. He retired 19 years ago. I think your missing out on some deserved money.

I know a few Marines from my time in the military that are getting both also.

Comment

Under some circumstances you can draw both. The law was changed in 2004. I retired in '68 with 40% disability and had to waive military retirement pay to draw my VA pension. I believe you have to retire with over 50%

Under certain circumstances, military retirees can receive both military retiree pay and VA disability compensation at the same time.
      Last edited by Phillip Fields; 01-18-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

If your VA rating is over 50%, then you will draw two separate checks (your military retirement and your VA disability payment). Any rating less than 50%, they make that percentage of your retirement tax free, and you only receive your retirement check. Example: If your VA rating is 40%, then you would only receive your retirement and 40% of that check would be tax exempt. If your VA rating is 60%, you would receive your normal retirement check (taxed at normal rate), and a VA disability check for however much 60% disability is equivalent to (and is 100% tax exempt). Look into the VA website, specifically at concurrent receipt. Hopefully that helps answer your question.

Comment

yes, over 50 you can draw both. I have csrc listed on my pay statement due to disabilities related to combat tours. see if you might have a local VA rep in your county to help you out.

Comment

Don't forget about the backpay that haven't payed you for all those years.

Comment

Thank you for all the answers, they have definitely been helpful. We do have a veterans service officer here in Orange County so I need to start with contacting him.

Comment

Working...
              X