Mud tires on wet pavement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mud tires on wet pavement?

I have always put all-terrain tires on my trucks, but I’m thinking about mud tires for the next set. A good 95% of my driving is on-pavement, but the places I hunt get real muddy. I would very much like some better traction on the ranch roads. I’m not concerned about road noise. But I have heard your traction on wet pavement suffers with mud tires. How noticeable is it, as compared to all-terrains? Enough to be dangerous at high speed during Texas downpours? Anything else to consider?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by 30-30; 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM.

High speed and downpour is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

They will grab puddles hard, be ready if driving in heavy rain.

My current set seem to be getting slippery in wet conditions, weren't like that when I first got them. They don't have that many miles on them and plenty of tread, maybe 15k-20k miles. Dunno if it's brand or less rubber touching the road. I'm going back to BFG AT's on my next set.

Comment

Mud tires on wet pavement is dicey. I’ve got them on my Wrangler which is old enough to not have ABS and I have to be extremely careful. Won’t get on the highway with it in the rain.

Comment

It depends on the tire, the siping across the tread is what gives you traction on wet pavement. Big smooth lugs are horrible on wet and icy roads.

Comment

I've had two sets of 35 x 12.5 nitto trail grapplers and I thought they did pretty well on wet pavement

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              They will grab puddles hard, be ready if driving in heavy rain.

My current set seem to be getting slippery in wet conditions, weren't like that when I first got them. They don't have that many miles on them and plenty of tread, maybe 15k-20k miles. Dunno if it's brand or less rubber touching the road. I'm going back to BFG AT's on my next set.
              I do have to mention we just got back from Spring Break trip to Wyoming where the "Bomb Cyclone" hit. We drove on ice up to 70mph (following a crazy local) for several hours heading out to find open water to fish. So they must not be TOO slippery. Had a truck right next to me towing a heavy camper break loose and form a V right next to us, that was creepy.

Comment

My nitto ridge grapplers do well, not quite a full mud tire, but they do pretty good in mud

Comment

I’ve got mud tires currently and haven’t noticed any difference on wet pavement. That being said, I never travel fast on wet pavement or during rain. I’m all about running fast other times, but will not do it when it’s wet or raining

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                    High speed and downpour is a recipe for disaster.
                    Yes sir

Comment

I have the Goodyear Duratrac mud tires and you can definitely notice the difference driving in rain. Not so much at high speed but when making a turn at a stop sign I have to really lay off the gas or the back tires will spin in the curve.

Comment

I have never had an issue running mud tires in the rain. Most will let the water out and have less risk of hydroplaning.

Comment

I have bfg mud terrains on my wrangler and as previously mentioned from other posts I'm very careful on wet pavement (whether is a downpour or just wet). I do notice a difference in traction on wet or dry roads. But in the end I still like the mud tires on my jeep.

Comment

I am northwest of San Antonio, we don’t get rain enough to worry about it
                            And everyone else is going slower also
                            BFG M/T on my duramax BFG A/T on the 1500 , both seem the same

Comment

Find you a middle of the road tire like a Nitto Ridge Grappler or Toyo RT. Not as aggressive as a full mid tire but more aggressive than an all terrain.

If you have a vehicle with a good amount of power mud tires will easily lose traction on pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X