Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bare Minimum For Height Of Tree Stand(and why)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people kill deer from 30' & some kill deer from ground level. It's all about terrain and personal preference.

Comment

Situation will certainly dictate the height of your treestand that's why when I hunted up north east I would use a climber to tailor to my hunt

Comment

For me it all depends on where I'm hunting and what kind of woods or terrain, and the biggest factor is gonna be cover.

Comment

I can tell you it sucks being on a skinny tree 25' up when the wind is blowing 20mph.

I usually go 18 to 20

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            No right or wrong answer. Depends on cover. Personally in East Texas I like 30 plus. But that is dictated by surrounding terrain.
            THIS ^^^^^ I took 3 deer in two days from a plum tree, 3ft off the ground on public land. It was the largest tree to hang the stand. A tripod may have been better? This was public land and too far to carry a tripod or ladder stand.

Comment

I prefer 12-15ft. That's where I feel most comfortable.

Comment

about 8' the mesquites on my lease arent real tall .

Comment

Normally mine average around 15', but I have killed a lot of deer out of 8' tripods.....I don't get any higher than necessary and that's dictated by the available cover where I'm hunting.

Comment

I only go as high as I need to get good cover. You can get away with 8 or 10 feet off the ground if you set your stand up properly. You can not just stick one on the side of a naked tree and expect to get away with murder. If I'm using a hang on, I put it on top of a significant limb if possible.

Comment

20-25 ft.

Comment

I think displaying cover natural to the environment is key. Not really how high you are. If you put a metal object in an area and don't give adequate cover to it being there animals will notice.

Comment

Yes. One stand I had was 44.
                          DANG! That's CRAZY!

I put one at 34' this year in a giant oak and I thought that was insanely high. Lol! I bow to you, sir!

Comment

Seems since alot of deer are killed off the ground there is no min.. LOL You just have to have enough cover to hide you

Comment

I like 20 to35 feet. But your shot has to be 20 yards out or father from the base of the tree to get both lungs I have found. Any closer at that height the smaller the kill zone is . Heights don't scare me though. At 35 or higher you can move and not get busted as easy.

Comment

No right or wrong answer. Depends on cover. Personally in East Texas I like 30 plus. But that is dictated by surrounding terrain.
                                My area is dictated by cover also. I have 1 @ 15' (Ladder) and a clamp on @ 23'. I prefer the 23' since I often smoke in the stand and enjoy a cup o' coffee in the morning while watching nature wake up. Both of these stands are on a "Lumpy" piece of property and it could be 15' on 1 side and 28-30' on other side.

Comment

Working...
                                X