Anyone here trap coyotes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here trap coyotes?

I've been trying to watch videos but almost all are from up north.

Before I try I have a few questions. I've been killing pigs since June (lots of them) and dumping so I know I've been feeding lots of coyotes.

If I set a steel foot trap how would I keep other animals from getting in it? I assume well under brush to maybe keep buzzards out? I have plenty of hog meat to use as bait, will that work? All I see on videos is prepared baits.

Please give some trapping tips. May try setting some tomorrow.

Is it really necessary to wax and dye the traps?
    Last edited by RiverRat1; 10-19-2021, 05:14 PM.

I have done it a couple of times. The traps need to be boiled, wear latex gloves while handling them after. Set on a trail coming to the pile of pigs. Try to set it just off the trail under low to the ground brush, they will come and investigate the scent of the bait. Set the bait back in the brush with a clear path to it, set trap a few feet in front of the bait. If your scent is on the trap, in my experience they have dug up the trap. If you are just trying to hunt the pile of pigs, set up at night with a red spot light and wait.

Comment

Place the bait under logs or brush. The buzzards won’t be able to get to it. Make sure you and the traps are scent free.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Place the bait under logs or brush. The buzzards won’t be able to get to it. Make sure you and the traps are scent free.
        This is a very good idea. I trapped a couple of buzzards.

Comment

Just my advice and you can take it or leave it

1) Back off 30yds or more from your bait pile
          2) Use a gland type lure to get curiosity up
          3) Educate yourself on flat and post sets

If you use hog scraps for bait you are going to catch buzzards, possums, skunks and all other non-target critters

If you make them think an intruder is moving in on their buffet you will be more likely to catch them

Comment

Shoot hogs one day, drag them to a pile and **** coyotes the next day. Son in law and i tag teamed and got this done last weekend.

Comment

If your putting bait in the brush coyotes can get real spooky when it comes to trapping. They normally don’t do well with heavy blocking. No matter what you do nontarget catches will often occur. If you putting you dead pigs in a brush pile or pit, back off 20 yards or so and find the approach trail. Bury your set there and then lay a small twig across the trail just past your trap jaw. They will trap themselves coming and going but you’ll miss the buzzards and some of the smaller stuff.

Comment

There is a thread on here called Everthing You Need to Know About Trapping Coyotes or something like that. Find it, read it, remember it, and use it. You won’t be able to trap a bait pile long. After a couple coyotes get caught, the rest will not come around, or at least won’t get caught. They survive because they ain’t dumb.

Come to think of it, that thread may be about calling coyotes My memory’s broke !

I just looked under Game Management and searched for Trapping Coyotes. Many threads.
                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 10-19-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Just my advice and you can take it or leave it

1) Back off 30yds or more from your bait pile
                  2) Use a gland type lure to get curiosity up
                  3) Educate yourself on flat and post sets

If you use hog scraps for bait you are going to catch buzzards, possums, skunks and all other non-target critters

If you make them think an intruder is moving in on their buffet you will be more likely to catch them
                  Great advice!!

Possums, coons, and skunks will be about all you will catch on the hog scraps.
                  Buy some Hawbakers gland lure and some coyote urine and back off a good ways from the hog scraps to make your sets. You can even use dog poop...they will investigate it.

Coyotes are one of the most trap shy animals you will encounter. Boil the traps with oak leaves to remove any oil or foreign odors, and then handle them only with rubber gloves. Waxing keeps them working smoothly and prevents rusting.

I recommend the book "Coyote Trapping East and West" by Bud Boda. Tells you all you need to know about hardware and techniques,

Comment

Best advice I was ever given was to shoot the coyotes and trap the cats.

Comment

I would say set some dirt hole sets away from the hog bait , or maybe some trail sets.
                      Try to keep your scent off of the traps as much as possible but boiling and waxing is not required. Wear some gloves when you set and try not to kneel near the trap, a cardboard box or pad will help with that.
                      Turds are great for territorial sets, just place some near the set trap. Double trap sets work well for coyotes too, might get a double.

Comment

I’ve heard of people sprinkling Golden Marlin fly bait on the guy piles. Come back next day and hauling off the coons and dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          I would say set some dirt hole sets away from the hog bait , or maybe some trail sets.
                          Try to keep your scent off of the traps as much as possible but boiling and waxing is not required. Wear some gloves when you set and try not to kneel near the trap, a cardboard box or pad will help with that.
                          Turds are great for territorial sets, just place some near the set trap. Double trap sets work well for coyotes too, might get a double.
                          This is the way I see the government trapper do it , using territory bait .
                          Use the hogs as bait to shoot over , or catch buzzards
                          Snares and conbear traps on fence line is my go to

Comment

As others have said, the hog scrapes usually catch non target animals. I have tried several times without much luck. But, I have caught alot of yotes with dirt hole sets. i use predator control group cat collector. Supposed to be for cats, but i have only caught one cat with it , a few foxes, and have lost count how many yotes. Leaving no sent is absolutely crucial. I boil my traps, wear rubber boots, rubber gloves, cardboard under my knees, wax paper over the plate, and sift dirt over the trap. Position a few sticks to direct them in and usually have one caught that night.

Comment

Very important...make sure your trap is bedded firmly in the ground with no movement or rocking if a jaw is stepped on.

Comment

Working...
                              X