Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with recovery.

Comment

First of all, the first thing I looked up was the tracking dog list. Then I texted some friends. I’ve talked to 4 different people and their dogs are tied up this weekend. We backed out and ate a late breakfast, then I saw buzzards circling and landing in tree tops about 100-125 yards west of last blood/arrow. My dad and I tried to sneak in there quietly, and jumped a deer but brush was too thick to see what it was. No obvious bed found and no blood, just deep digs from the deer taking off. At this point, I’m thinking the deer might live. We’re going to stay away and watch for buzzards, and maybe try to find another dog this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting observation.

So for those of us who don't know- myself included-

Will buzzards land / congregate over an animal that is alive enough to recover and live?

Seems like their buzzard instincts would let them know they are wasting their time and go elsewhere.
        But then again, in them old westerns they circle the cowboy about to die of thirst out on the desert plains

I've had buzzards land in a tree near a dead deer that led us to it, while we were still on the blood trail...but can't recall them congregating for an animal I never found....

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
          First of all, the first thing I looked up was the tracking dog list. Then I texted some friends. I’ve talked to 4 different people and their dogs are tied up this weekend. We backed out and ate a late breakfast, then I saw buzzards circling and landing in tree tops about 100-125 yards west of last blood/arrow. My dad and I tried to sneak in there quietly, and jumped a deer but brush was too thick to see what it was. No obvious bed found and no blood, just deep digs from the deer taking off. At this point, I’m thinking the deer might live. We’re going to stay away and watch for buzzards, and maybe try to find another dog this evening.

Heart breaking. If no recovery keep that girl pumped up and don’t let it be her stumbling block. We’ve all been there and the longer we hunt with sharp sticks we’ll probably be there again. One word of advice if I may, until she gets some kills under her belt and gains the confidence that goes with making each shot, you might encourage her to keep her shots at 20 yards or closer. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            Interesting observation.

So for those of us who don't know- myself included-

Will buzzards land / congregate over an animal that is alive enough to recover and live?

Seems like their buzzard instincts would let them know they are wasting their time and go elsewhere.
            But then again, in them old westerns they circle the cowboy about to die of thirst out on the desert plains

I've had buzzards land in a tree near a dead deer that led us to it, while we were still on the blood trail...but can't recall them congregating for an animal I never found....
            No buzzards can smell the fresh smell of death

“ buzzards wheel in graceful circles as they ride wind currents searching for food. Their favorite food is fresh carrion, but they'll eat an older carcass if food is scarce and it hasn't putrefied. The birds' keen sense of smell enables them to pick up airborne chemicals that signal an animal has died.””

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              Heart breaking. If no recovery keep that girl pumped up and don’t let it be her stumbling block. We’ve all been there and the longer we hunt with sharp sticks we’ll probably be there again. One word of advice if I may, until she gets some kills under her belt and gains the confidence that goes with making each shot, you might encourage her to keep her shots at 20 yards or closer. Just saying.

I agree. She’s been shooting great out to 20, and had been advised against shooting farther, but buck fever got the best of her, as it does to all of is at times. She couldn’t resist and he just refused to come closer to the hand corn. She has 10, 15, and 20 yard rocks marking the distance. I’m trying to keep her pumped up and told her to shoot the first mature doe she sees this evening, for her confidence as well as live practice. I’m also giving her some Muzzy fixed blades to use. I don’t like expandables on lower poundage bows, and I didn’t know that she’d put Rages on her arrows.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                  I agree. She’s been shooting great out to 20, and had been advised against shooting farther, but buck fever got the best of her, as it does to all of is at times. She couldn’t resist and he just refused to come closer to the hand corn. She has 10, 15, and 20 yard rocks marking the distance. I’m trying to keep her pumped up and told her to shoot the first mature doe she sees this evening, for her confidence as well as live practice. I’m also giving her some Muzzy fixed blades to use. I don’t like expandables on lower poundage bows, and I didn’t know that she’d put Rages on her arrows.

It appeared like it got great penetration. I’m betting that deer is dead. Did you call Matt McWilliams?

Comment

She’s doing great.

Comment

How far are you guys from Stonewall?

Comment

Nothing to add except good luck and don't give up.

Comment

My gf liver shot one. 4 hours later we spotted the doe go over a hill covered in blood. We pushed it 2 hours later and never found it. Where the blood trail would thin or be lost we would look for the routes they would take. She would take one and I would take the other till we picked up blood again. A mile later we lost it after pushing it twice. She swore off expandable (RAGE). She shoots slick trick viper tricks now. No issues. Don’t push to fast and good luck.

Comment

You can try Chance Miller. He’s west of Llano. Has a great dog and does a lot of recovery work around here. 325-423-9321.

Comment

Good luck on the recovery. I’m in the “dead deer” camp.

Comment

Hope you folks recover it this evening… that’s a lot of arrow penetration for it not to be dead…

Comment

Working...
                                X