Weird question about scent and showering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird question about scent and showering

As the title says - this is going to be a bit of a weird question - How many of you feel like you have to shower with scent free soap each morning hunt? Or, is it that some just shower after the prior day's hunt and not shower in the morning?

I ask this question due to my work schedule and location - I sometimes can't take the full day off to hunt - often I start my hunt mid-day or later. I understand that no matter what scent covering or "eliminating" product we use - we'll never truly be scent free and as always be downwind of animals.

My question is really the scent we radiate walking through the woods to our hunt location(s). Should I really be this concerned with religiously showering with scent free soap every hunt? What are your experiences?

Thanks

The more scent free you can be, the more successful you will be at bow hunting.

Take short cuts if you want. You will still kill deer, but you may never know about the one that picked up your scent and never showed himself

Comment

It is your money so spend it on whatever it is that gives you more confidence. The scent you are giving off is skin cells being discarded from your body. You can not stop this biological process no mater what some marketing person claims. If you work somewhere that causes odors to be on you then take a shower and change clothes. Don't use a soap with a lot of fragrance and you should be fine.

Comment

Your wasting your time if you don't when bowhunting unless your just hunting pen deer.

Comment

Hunt the wind like always and as far as walking in, step in some cow crap and go. Sounds crazy but works great

Comment

Wind direction
            Scent (scent free and cover scents)
            Stand placement
            Lunar, barometric pressure, blah blah blah.

All that goes adds to a successful hunt.

I try to do as much as I can that my time/money allows.

With that said, I had one of my best hunts after I mowed the grass on a 95 degree day. No shower, no cover scent, etc.

Good luck.

Comment

I do everything within my capabilities to keep my scent down to a minimum, including showering with scent free soap, spraying my gear down with scent killer, and using cover scent...on top of minding the wind direction in regard to stand location

Comment

I wash my hunting clothes in scent free detergent and I shower with scent free soap when I can. I also wear scent free deodorant. If for some reason (spur of the moment hunt) I can’t then I spray down with a scent eliminator. If I’m camping and can’t stay scent free (even though there’s really no such thing) I get smoky.
                Above all, no matter what, hunt the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  Your wasting your time if you don't when bowhunting unless your just hunting pen deer.
                  Come on man.....although your post has some validity, you're overstating it, talking about "unless your just hunting pen deer"

Comment

I’ve killed a ton of deer with a bow after work. Your never going outsmart a deers nose. Some products help but most of the stuff out there is to fool hunters not so much deer.$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      Hunt the wind like always and as far as walking in, step in some cow crap and go. Sounds crazy but works great
                      Glad im not the only one that does this

Comment

I wash my hunting clothes in scent free detergent and take a shower with just hot water, no soap and dont put anything on after words (deodorant, lotion, etc). Also a change of clothes if I get too sweaty before my hunt. I like to think it works.

Comment

Wait, people are showering?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            So what about drinking beer? Is that wasting my time when I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                              So what about drinking beer? Is that wasting my time when I do?
                              Depends on the brand your drinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X