Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your experiences (or loved one) with Agent Orange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad passed in '97 from lung cancer. We went to the VA to talk about his marker. The rep asked questions about where he was in Vietnam and at the end of the interview determined it was agent orange related.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      What name brand was agent orange. Just curious what all was in it, are does it have a name brand today?
      It’s commonly known as 2-4-D. You can buy it here buy have to have an applicators license.

Comment

What are your experiences (or loved one) with Agent Orange?

My dad passed 10 years ago

He was had multiple health issues that the VA determined iwas due to AO exposure while he was in Nam..

He didn’t discuss it much, but the times he did talk to me about……. Well them boys went through and saw some bad stuff….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by DamonJ; 08-30-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Take this for what it is worth. I was 9-10 years old at the time. My grandfather worked for USFS, on the LBJ Grasslands. He hated it. He got laid off from Swift Meats, in Ft. Worth, and the USFS was his only option. That allowed him to continue working the family farm.

He brought home chemicals that the USFS had. Some of it was AO. I have seen it work. Just a dab, and an 24" stump turns to dust. Nobody got sick or died.

I may have a little left. Less than a pint.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
            Take this for what it is worth. I was 9-10 years old at the time. My grandfather worked for USFS, on the LBJ Grasslands. He hated it. He got laid off from Swift Meats, in Ft. Worth, and the USFS was his only option. That allowed him to continue working the family farm.

He brought home chemicals that the USFS had. Some of it was AO. I have seen it work. Just a dab, and an 24" stump turns to dust. Nobody got sick or died.

I may have a little left. Less than a pint.
            I didn't know your Grandpa had worked out there. What years? I'm sure it was well before my time. He probably worked there with Bob Gaperson and CG Greenwood.

Comment

"Agent Orange contained significant amounts of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, often called TCDD, a type of dioxin.

Dioxins are also created from trash incineration; burning gas, oil and coal; cigarette smoking and in different manufacturing processes such as bleaching. The TCDD found in Agent Orange is the most dangerous of all dioxins."

Comment

90% VA disability Vietnam Vet. Systemic heart disease, cancer, and a few other maladies. My clock is ticking.

Comment

My dad got his back pay for AO claim and then died of cancer shortly after receiving the check.

Comment

Wifes uncle had Parkinsons which VA said was presumptive due to time in country for Agent Orange. 90% but lazy mother in law and her aunt wouldn't do the work to get 100%

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                      Wifes uncle had Parkinsons which VA said was presumptive due to time in country for Agent Orange. 90% but lazy mother in law and her aunt wouldn't do the work to get 100%
                      Your Aunt should follow up and file even after your uncles passing. She would probably be eligible for Survivors' Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

Each county has a Veteran's Service Officer (VSO) that can help file the forms.

DIC is a tax free benefit paid to eligible survivors of Servicemembers or Veterans who died in the line of duty or from a service related injury or disease. Determine your eligibility for this benefit

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                        I didn't know your Grandpa had worked out there. What years? I'm sure it was well before my time. He probably worked there with Bob Gaperson and CG Greenwood.
                        Froggy,
                        It was way before your time. I want to say 1969 to 1975.

Comment

Had a good friend that died from it, Long and painful death. He was a truck driver in Nam. Hauled a lot of agent orange. Said there were no safety measures taken while loading or unloading trucks. Military Docs said it wasn't AO that caused his problem and by the time the Govt got around to admitting it, it was too late for him.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                            Had a good friend that died from it, Long and painful death. He was a truck driver in Nam. Hauled a lot of agent orange. Said there were no safety measures taken while loading or unloading trucks. Military Docs said it wasn't AO that caused his problem and by the time the Govt got around to admitting it, it was too late for him.
                            Sorry for your loss and everyone else’s in addition to all the pain and suffering many have endured.

My uncle had been trying since at least the 1980’s to get help. His claim was denied again and again. He was told in letters that there was no proof his ship was ever in brown water, therefore he couldn’t have been exposed. They also tried to say he wasn't even on that ship. But.....he has a document proving he was indeed on it and had been where he said. What made things even worse was after the war he got injured in a mining accident. It wasn’t until this year he finally got 100% disability. He and his wife were nearly out of money.

Comment

My dad… Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Diagnosed in 1993, had Cheri, radiation, bone marrow transplant. Been in remission over 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                                My dad… Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Diagnosed in 1993, had Cheri, radiation, bone marrow transplant. Been in remission over 20 years.
                                Sorry he and your family had to go through all that. That’s a lot.
                                Good to hear it’s in remission and I pray it stays that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X