Metal detector hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post

Trash can also tell you a lot about who was once there and when. If it's old trash you know there is a better chance of a good find.
    I agree and dig all registered hits up.
    The cans give a good timestamp of when someone in the distant past stood in that very same spot i'm now standing in...and got completely hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
      i agree and dig all registered hits up.
      The cans give a good timestamp of when someone in the distant past stood in that very same spot i'm now standing in...and got completely hammered.
      lol!!!

Comment

Following

Comment

Mine is a Bounty Hunter Lone Star Haven't used it too much but now I have little more time I plan on it.

Comment

Research is the biggest part of successful metal detecting...along with getting out and hunting as often as possible. You just never know what's under your feet, and often there is no indication on the surface of what was once there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9VQAGXx_M"]YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT WE FOUND METAL DETECTING IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! Unbelievable!! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have a Teknetics T2 metal detector and a Marko pin pointer that I really like. Like others have said you will dig allot of trash but I've found lots of cool stuff along with it. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos you will learn allot from them.

Comment

About 30-35 yrs ago i was scouting on a military base and discovered the foundation/remains of an old cabin deep in the woods. There was also a sunken spot which had been dug out. Came back later with the detector and found lots of square nails etc. The most interesting thing I found near the dug out place was a metal fixture off a coffin--

Comment

I thought you were leading up to finding old ordnance or a part of a buried UFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I took my daughter's metal detector out today, my wife said, "You mean your metal detector." It's not my fault I am the only one that uses it.

I was going to start reloading some 380 ACP, for my daughter and wife's pistols, and remembered that we lost some of the brass, when my wife was shooting her pistol a few weeks ago. So I figured before I start loading, I would go find that brass.

On the way to the spot we were shooting her pistol a few weeks ago. I had the metal detector going, all the way there. I found some old rusted, into many pieces, bailing wire. Then three nails. Then found 8 pieces of 380 brass, which I am pretty sure is all the brass we lost. Then decided to make a trip up to the feeder and see what I could find. Nothing until I got to the feeder. As usual, I found about 8 old beer can pull tabs around the clearing where the feeder is, they grow up out of the ground, every time it rains. Up until today, that is all I have found with the metal detector around that clearing. Today, I hit the jackpot, I found two old Vienna sausage can tops, to add to my collection of beer can pull tabs. I have concluded, that that clearing used to be somebody's deer camp, back in the 70s and probably into the 80s. I concluded that a year or so ago, by the number of beer can pull tabs I have found in the area, as of a year ago and nothing else. Then now finding the Vienna sausage can tops, I am sure it was a old deer camp, back in the 70s. I have not found any old brass, I think the guys that were hunting there years ago, drank a lot more than they hunted.

So the mystery of the circle of rocks that looks like a old fire pit, has been solved. I found a circle of rocks that have been there for many years, there is stuff growing on the rocks and they are mostly buried. It was obvious, it was from someone's camp fire years ago, but I did not know from how long ago, But after finding about 80 or so beer can pull tabs and now the Vienna sausage can lids. My expert archelogy knowledge, tells me that was a hunting camp from the 1970s to 1980s.

Around the same time I found the rocks in a circle, up in the brush, in a area that has been long over grow, and covered with briars. Our weird old Cuban neighbor woman, told us, she has seen indian ghosts on our property, in the middle of the night, in the general area, of where I found the rocks in a circle. So it had me wondering how long those rocks had been there. But after finding all of the stuff, I have found since that point, I have ruled out it being a old indian camp, or old cowboy camp, or any type of camp, from prior to the 1900s.

Comment

You're welcome. Great series.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgN7z0SD8v8&ab"]Detectorists TRAILER - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Went out detecting with some friends today. Best thing that came out of the ground was a beautiful 1899 dime worth about $100. We also dug some very old glass, pottery, horseshoes, bullets, and misc. old junk. I added a "UMC Co. New Club No. 10" shotgun headstamp from about 1892 to my collection.

Comment

Been doing it for a long time with two Whites Spectrums. The ability to discriminate is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                            Been doing it for a long time with two Whites Spectrums. The ability to discriminate is the key.
                            Right........
                            When I first got mine (garret 250)........
                            A guy in a club, told me to get all different kinds of metal
                            put them on the ground, and learn the different sounds they
                            make..... It helps from digging up a lot of trash.....
                            It was good advice........

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                              That’s one of the features I do like about Whites. Still have a DFX. I’ve used several other brands. A Minelab will be my next purchase.

Comment

I know a guy that dug a 1877 Indian Head penny worth about $800 last week. He's been detecting since the 70's and has also dug several 1916-D Mercury dimes. Wish I had his luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X