Another Generator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Generator question

A couple of months back I bought a 9000watt generator, expecting a possible storm; needed one anyway, living out here on co-op power we lose it quite often.

Haven't got around to making it a simple process yet; like just turn on and flip isolation switch.
    Not expecting to run an awful lot; just some entertainment and a coupe of convenience outlets.

Question is; the reading I did suggested they ran according to draw, or heavy load they ran full bore, light load might idle a bit. All I have connected at the moment, thru a surge protector, is the TV and satellite box and it seems like it is at full throttle. Is that normal or are they supposed to run partial throttle for lighter loads?????

Thanks

Look for an "Auto idle" switch

Comment

There might be an idler switch that will make it run on ECO mode. To lower the throttle under a lesser load. Make sure your gen is grounded also to a metal water pipe or ground rod. Rain, ice, and snow are recipes for ground faults and shock hazards.

Comment

If it doesn't have the auto idle switch, it runs full power the whole time. Dont worry about messing it up, thats what its made to do

Comment

Man.....there sure are lots of generator threads this week

Comment

In the U.S, where we typically run 60 hertz AC current. Most electronics can run a 60 plus or minus about 3-4 hertz. For a generator to create a 60 hertz cycle, it has to spin at 60 cycles a second, or 3600 rpm. For home generators that are directly driven by an engine, the engine is used to maintain 3600 rpm. If there is no auto idle, then the engine will idle at 3600 rpm, even if there is no load on the generator. Once the generator starts getting a load, the engine's governor will effectively give the engine more throttle, in order to maintain 3600 rpm, under load.

If you look at generator specs to see how long it will run with one tank of gas, the estimate is usually given with the assumption the generator is working at a constant 50% load. So if a generator is specced to run 10 hours on one tank, then it will probably run about 5 hours with a full load.

Comment

Also, if you are using a generator to run expensive/sensitive electronics, or if your generator has unknown history, it is a good idea to test the hertz the generator is producing, with a multi-meter.

If the hertz is too high or low, you can adjust the carb/governor on the engine to correct. Then retest the hertz at various loads, so you know you are getting consistent hertz, across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                Man.....there sure are lots of generator threads this week
                Hence the title, “Another” Generator Question.....

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
                  Also, if you are using a generator to run expensive/sensitive electronics, or if your generator has unknown history, it is a good idea to test the hertz the generator is producing, with a multi-meter.

If the hertz is too high or low, you can adjust the carb/governor on the engine to correct. Then retest the hertz at various loads, so you know you are getting consistent hertz, across the board.
                  Only the most expensive multimeters will measure hertz. Not the average homeowner meters.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just buy an inverter to run the good stuff.

Comment

Most generators go to full throttle as soon as they see a load, better inverter generators only idle up enough to support the amount of load presented.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        Only the most expensive multimeters will measure hertz. Not the average homeowner meters.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Fortunately I have a Fluke 87e, and a couple of 179's.

Used to be a instrument tech, just never had much exposure to low grade generators.

I suppose on this particular type(cheap) the load is determined by the field resistance????

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                        X