No announcement yet.

Abandoned utility trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe it to be manufactured and not a homemade trailer, a lot of them have hidden vins that can track back to the last registered owner. If it is in bad shape it might not be worth the trouble. I know wrecker companies when requested by the property owner tow abandoned vehicles from parking lots and attempt to find owners and file the forms and at times end up with the vehicle after going through the steps. Utility trailers were the most stolen item in Texas a few years back, probably the same now. They are so hard to trace if they are homemade and no VIN or identifying marks on them. Good luck.

Comment

Take it and run.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        I think Texas is same , “” To get a title for your homemade trailer, it has to pass a Texas trailer inspection, which is done by an auto theft law enforcement officer. If your homemade trailer is new, Texas trailer laws require that you fill out forms VTR-141 and 130-U. Both forms are downloadable from the Texas DMV website.””
        Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
        yep. Will need to get it weighed and tell them what is is rated for.
        Neither of these statements are true. I have had 3 that had never been registered. I went down to the tag office and told them it was homemade and what the axles where rated for and walked out with a tag. If it is homemade you dont need a "title" like you do a car. They just give you the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          Neither of these statements are true. I have had 3 that had never been registered. I went down to the tag office and told them it was homemade and what the axles where rated for and walked out with a tag. If it is homemade you dont need a "title" like you do a car. They just give you the tag.
          Correct, everytime I have done it they never as anything just what size is the trailer. I'll provide the information from DMV below.

DMV website below.....

Trailers with a gross weight exceeding 7,500 lbs. must pass an annual safety inspection.

In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information such as:

Weight Certificate, and/or
          Photograph of trailer.

Comment

You can get a bonded title very easily.
            Google Lawrence auto title, Taylor tx

Comment

Heck, I bet half the trailers I pull don't even have a tag on them. My boat trailer licence plat has been sitting on the dash of my truck ever since I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                It depends on the county, try it any county bordering Harris(Houston) county. Went through it last year in Montgomery county. Inspected, weighed, affidavits, POA.......It was a nightmare. Bought it off TBH from an estate sale. They will not register as a homemade trailer in Montgomery county without the receipts for everything. Good luck OP.

Comment

what trailer?

Comment

Just me, I'd get a letter from the church and not try to be lying about it being homemade. If you get a free trailer, great. If not, you aint pulling a "stolen" trailer down the road.

Comment

That thing would already be at my house with DIY thread going up about a trailer rebuild!

Comment

re trailer

if you can look under the front tongue area of the trailer or there might be a stamped number on the front crossmember, that might help you out.
                        i have a old single axle trailer from like 2006, made in dallas, but a rancher gave it to me in exchange for work on his ranch. so i kept his letter giving it to me. and just registered it as a homemade trailer, weight under 3500 pounds.
                        so i only get tags each year, no inspection. But i like to have the letter if i ever need it. I know in corpus christi, they have free days at the local landfill, funny thing is there is a police officer or DPS there checking every trailer they bring in to dump with. i know a few get seized as being stolen, but the current owners were not aware of it. good luck

Comment

My first thought was a friend of mine's experience with an "abandoned" trailer

Apparently it was bait for the local auto theft task force, the problem was that they did not find it necessary to inform the property owner where they were leaving it as bait of their operation.

Got almost western before they got their trailer back and a good *** chewing to go with it.

Comment

What trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              what trailer?
                              HA!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

My first thought was a friend of mine's experience with an "abandoned" trailer

Apparently it was bait for the local auto theft task force, the problem was that they did not find it necessary to inform the property owner where they were leaving it as bait of their operation.

Got almost western before they got their trailer back and a good *** chewing to go with it.
                                I can see that happening. When I read the title to this story, that was my first thought. Don't touch that trailer, probably bait, left by the cops. Then I read the story. But in a small town you know the cops are usually bored and looking for something to stir up. There may still be a cop waiting down the street with his binoculars waiting for someone to move that trailer, after all these years. Then he's going to come down on them hard. **** trailer thieves are the worst, don't need those in a small town.

Comment

Working...
                                X