Rain tank-pool conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain tank-pool conversion

I have an old 2500 gallon poly tank we used for rainwater collection. I’m thinking about cutting the lid off, building a deck around it, and hooking up a filter system to make it a “plunge pool” for cooling off on hot days at the lease. Here’s the question - if I lop off the upper half, does it lose rigidity and the ability to hold water? In other words, will I need to somehow reinforce the sidewalls? Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I envision it would look something like this.
    Attached Files

Comment

Bump for morning crowd

Comment

Don't know about that big water tank but this is what happened when I cut the top off a plastic barrel.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would like to think that if you cemented a few pole in the ground right next to the tank then attached poles to tank towards the top it would keep its shape. Not positive though.

I have a 9’ water trough I turned into a little pool for my kids. I put 2 holes in the side of the tank for a pump and had a real hard time getting the holes 100% leak proof and the pump didn’t do the job I thought it should have. If I put one of those floating chlorine tabs in it, the water stays real clean and clear. Every 7-10 days in the middle of the summer I’ll drain some off and add fresh water to keep it from being so hot.

Good luck! I’m interested to see how it turns out. I think your idea would also work if you were able to bury all but about 21/2 foot.
          Last edited by JWalker08; 09-29-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Don't know about that big water tank but this is what happened when I cut the top off a plastic barrel.
            This is what I’m worried about. I wonder if I fabricated some sort of metal ring for the top of that would help.

Comment

Originally posted by JWalker08 View Post
              I would like to think that if you cemented a few pole in the ground right next to the tank then attached poles to tank towards the top it would keep its shape. Not positive though.

I have a 9’ water trough I turned into a little pool for my kids. I put 2 holes in the side of the tank for a pump and had a real hard time getting the holes 100% leak proof and the pump didn’t do the job I thought it should have. If I put one of those floating chlorine tabs in it, the water stays real clean and clear. Every 7-10 days in the middle of the summer I’ll drain some off and add fresh water to keep it from being so hot.

Good luck! I’m interested to see how it turns out. I think your idea would also work if you were able to bury all but about 21/2 foot.
              Good idea to put it in the ground. I’ll consider that as well.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I would take some 2 inch angle (or bigger if I had it) and build and build a frame, octagon, polygon etc. One side inside the tank and the other on the cut edge of the tank.

Comment

I wonder is a hoop of 3/4 or 1" pvc would work?

Comment

IDK but if you decide it's not feasible, make it into a blind (or sell it to someone for that purpose). Good luck.

Comment

Fill it full of water and you will not need any support to keep it round.

Comment

Instead of cutting the sides to remove the top, why not cut the top, leaving about 5" rim then smooth out the ledge and build an overlap above and around it?

My other thought is just go buy an 8' round tank. Yes, it will only be 24-32" deep but at least you would not ruin that rain tank.

Comment

I don't think there will be much "cooling off" in a black tank on a hot day.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                              Fill it full of water and you will not need any support to keep it round.
                              This is my thought. To add filtration should not be too hard but to maintain a stable water level will be. There are garden hose timers you can use but you will still need to check often if batteries die. OR you turn filtration on and wait a day. Chlorine is a must.

Comment

Working...
                              X