Raising exotics, looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
    I use Dale Caffey out of Eden to buy and sell animals. All young stock is sold and when breed stock gets old we sell and roll fresh genetics in. Has worked great. We don’t run huge numbers of any of the animals. 6 wildebeest, 5 oryx, 6 nilgai, 20 axis, 10, fallow,25 blackbuck.
    Appreciate you passing along the name...will reach out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
      Dama Gazelle---2 babies a year I believe.

Gemsbok always sell. So do oryx. Fallow sell well. Sable if you want to jump that high. Addax are kinda weird on the market.
      You know how much a female Dama is going for right now? Not easily accessible for most folks.

Agree on gemsbok and oryx and fallow. Last auction I was at 3 yr old fallow with 8" palms were going for 4K+. I can hardly sell a big mature fallow for 4-5K.

If its a volume game for him black buck would be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
        You know how much a female Dama is going for right now? Not easily accessible for most folks.

Agree on gemsbok and oryx and fallow. Last auction I was at 3 yr old fallow with 8" palms were going for 4K+. I can hardly sell a big mature fallow for 4-5K.

If its a volume game for him black buck would be easy.
        How long ago was that auction?

Comment

Fallow are easy to raise and easy to sell.
          I would stay away from Addax. I had built up a pretty good herd of them when they decided to make them illegal to hunt several years back.
          You suddenly couldn't give them away

Comment

Nubian Ibex
            Gemsbok
            Sable
            Bongo
            The last 2, yea..I know. Just throwing it out there.

Comment

Blackbuck, Oryx, Axis

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                Fallow are easy to raise and easy to sell.
                I would stay away from Addax. I had built up a pretty good herd of them when they decided to make them illegal to hunt several years back.
                You suddenly couldn't give them away
                Addax are moving well now.

Comment

Axis and Blackbuck

Comment

There’s a lot more to this than what most people typically think about. Feed consumption compared to sale cost, how long it takes for a species to reach maturity and fit for sale, market fluctuations, gestation periods for certain species. Is your area fit for certain species, and the list goes on. For example, the addax. That is a large animal that will camp out around freechoice feed and eat you out of house and home and takes quite a while to get any size on them worth selling. On the other hand you could raise higher end fallow that will fetch roughly the same live sale price that eat about 1/3 of what an addax will and also take far less time to reach a sellable age. All while still maintaining a high survival rate assuming you have a good hold on your predator population.

Unless you plan to sell bottle babies, then that’s a whole other can of worms. Just my .02!

Comment

cows or sheep...

Comment

Working...
                      X