Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well at least you are seeing something

Comment

I finally decided to give saddle hunting a try…kinda.

Legdog is letting me use his system - Tethrd Phantom, Predator Platform and Out on a Limb Shikar sticks.

I’m at our lease in Blanco county chasing axis this weekend. My first attempt at carrying everything in and sticking my way up a tree didn’t go well yesterday afternoon. LOL! I decided I need to practice carrying and climbing more at home before I try it in the field.

I am set up now at The Elbow, a Gametamer set that I hunted most of last season, but I am just using the GT platform to simulate a saddle hunt to get comfortable with the adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

You'll get it figured out. It's just a little different than your used to, but in no time you'll find it much nicer !

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
          You'll get it figured out. It's just a little different than your used to, but in no time you'll find it much nicer !

I “sat” for about 5 hours this morning (after using the ladder as a crutch to climb). I spent most of the hunt in a leaning position with the saddle and back support, using a corner of the GT base as a platform. It was an enjoyable hunt.

Main thing I have to figure out is a system for climbing and getting all my gear (including camera and tree arm) up with me, efficiently.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good luck. Its a ton of fun.

Comment

I need to get back into it myself, my gear has been sitting for over a year. I really enjoy saddle hunting vs posting up in a box.

Comment

I climbed a tree this morning in the front yard. Ii had ordered a rappel rope and Madrick Safeguard last week and they arrived over the weekend. I had to move my lineman’s belt over limbs a couple of times, so I used the rappel system to stay connected.

I only used 3 sticks and my feet were probably 15’. I think the biggest thing is learning to trust the equipment. I was nervous about the sticks holding. Then I was a little unsure leaning into the lineman’s belt and trusting it to hold. I was a little worried about the quick link holding the rope. I was extremely cautious, at first, leaning into the saddle/rope/mad rock.

That first pull on the madrock brake to start my rappel was pretty scary. LOL! But, i slowly worked my way down the side of the tree.

I imagine a couple more climbs and I’ll get the hang of it (pun intended.)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Yeah learning the ins and out of getting up the tree with all your gear can be tricky at first. I need more practice going up with three sticks and where to put them for easy / quick access as I progress up. Another issue I face is hauling only what I think I need and not over packing. I tend to not take enough water at times because of the bulk. As I get older I find myself wanting more and more water during the treks. Depending on where I go most times I will only take my predator pack with two small pouches strapped to it, minimalist approach but Im wanting to hunt Alabama creek wma more and that’s going to require me to haul more as I scout before deer season. I mostly bow hunt hog but I need to prepare for deer season early . For that area I plan on hauling the game out in one pack quartered up, my go to spot for pigs doesn’t require much as the truck is parked fairly close to the where I post up. So yeah I got to get more proficient with the saddle hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Stick bow View Post
                    Yeah learning the ins and out of getting up the tree with all your gear can be tricky at first. I need more practice going up with three sticks and where to put them for easy / quick access as I progress up. Another issue I face is hauling only what I think I need and not over packing. I tend to not take enough water at times because of the bulk. As I get older I find myself wanting more and more water during the treks. Depending on where I go most times I will only take my predator pack with two small pouches strapped to it, minimalist approach but Im wanting to hunt Alabama creek wma more and that’s going to require me to haul more as I scout before deer season. I mostly bow hunt hog but I need to prepare for deer season early . For that area I plan on hauling the game out in one pack quartered up, my go to spot for pigs doesn’t require much as the truck is parked fairly close to the where I post up. So yeah I got to get more proficient with the saddle hunting

My “problem” is that I’m always going to carry camera gear with me when I’m hunting, including a big mirrorless camera/zoom lens and, of course, a camera arm/base.

I practice climbed this morning without any extra gear. I’ll add that as I get more comfortable. My initial thought is that I can hoist my pack up once I’m set, and then hoist my bow with a separate line (either attached to me or to my pack.)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      My initial thought is that I can hoist my pack up once I’m set, and then hoist my bow with a separate line (either attached to me or to my pack.)
                      Long response, but maybe this will help you!

I've gone to using a Doyle's gear hoist, even though it weighs an absolute ton in comparison to other stuff. In the past I would do the doyle's on one side, and a Genesis 3D printing C2 hoist with dynaglide on the other. Having a rope on either side of you can be a real pain in the rear when you go to set your platform, etc, so I've gone back to a single attachment.

And on a side note, Dynaglide is cool and all but itll burn your hand if it slips, and getting it untangled is a cluster and a half. It also tends to really enjoy finding every dang briar on the ground and playing tug of war with briars with my bow attached really grinds my gears.

Since then my system is to attach the Doyle's to my pack, unwrap some line from the C2 Hoist and attach it to my bow and then to my pack. That way I have one line attached to the other. As I pull up my pack, the C2 unravels. I then hang my pack, then pull up my bow.

Hawk rubber wrapped wire is heavier, but its the least likely to get tangled and the easiest to handle in the tree IMO.

As to camera arms, which are you running? I'm running a LWCG Pocket arm, but I wish I had waited for the one from Genesis 3D printing.
                      Last edited by Kirby86; 04-03-2023, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Has anyone tried using lineman spikes to climb the trees instead of having to haul sticks around? I am going to try some public land hunting and think I have a set somewhere.

Comment

I think most of us are on public land and I am nearly certain you can't damage the tree or nail anything past the bark.

Comment

These strap to your shoes. They do stick into the tree slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              I think most of us are on public land and I am nearly certain you can't damage the tree or nail anything past the bark.
                              I’ve heard this talked about for as long as I’ve been hunting now. It’s so funny because you’re not allowed to break off or cut limbs when in a tree as well. But yet we all do. We cut lanes or break off branches for visibility.

You aren’t hurting these trees anymore with a tree spike when you would cutting off branches.

Nobody is 100 percent legal.

Comment

I’ve used lineman gaffs off and on for years. Guy I hunt with out of state exclusively has hunted with them for over 20 years. He’s like a squirrel!

I honestly still prefer sticks. I just never got as comfortable with them as I wanted. But they do work. Weight wise…. It’s not that big a savings. Steel set will weight 5ish pounds… so more than good sticks

Aluminum will be a little lighter than sticks… but several hundred bucks as well plus pads.

Oaks, hickory, cedar, sycamore all SUCK! lol
                                Elm, hackberry, cedar elm, sweet gum, poplar,
                                All climb easy and quiet
                                Last edited by Low Fence; 04-16-2023, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X