No announcement yet.

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just something to keep in mind as we all search for a scarce resource. I’m fortunate to have the opportunity to go on several barrel picks every year. For example, I recently picked barrels at Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, 1792, and have upcoming barrels this month at EC, Knob Creek and hopefully Wilderness Trail. The point of this isn’t to brag. Instead, it’s to point out that barrel picks are an opportunity to find juice that’s substantially better than the better known bottles that everyone is searching for. I can without a doubt tell you that in the selection process there are incredible barrels that stand out and are far better than what you might ordinarily expect. I have a personal selection from Four Roses (single barrel, barrel proof) that will stand up to anything else available. And although I didn’t pick it, I have another single barrel, barrel proof selection from Wilderness Trail rye that will also stand up to the best. It’s incredible. The point of this is to encourage everyone to consider barrel selections at your local liquor store. They are often better than the name brands that everyone else is chasing.

Comment

Just something to keep in mind as we all search for a scarce resource. I’m fortunate to have the opportunity to go on several barrel picks every year. For example, I recently picked barrels at Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, 1792, and have upcoming barrels this month at EC, Knob Creek and hopefully Wilderness Trail. The point of this isn’t to brag. Instead, it’s to point out that barrel picks are an opportunity to find juice that’s substantially better than the better known bottles that everyone is searching for. I can without a doubt tell you that in the selection process there are incredible barrels that stand out and are far better than what you might ordinarily expect. I have a personal selection from Four Roses (single barrel, barrel proof) that will stand up to anything else available. And although I didn’t pick it, I have another single barrel, barrel proof selection from Wilderness Trail rye that will also stand up to the best. It’s incredible. The point of this is to encourage everyone to consider barrel selections at your local liquor store. They are often better than the name brands that everyone else is chasing.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post

I’ve only ever seen barrel selections at specs and total wine. Never had one I thought was fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          I’ve only ever seen barrel selections at specs and total wine. Never had one I thought was fantastic

That’s most likely because they’re not actually picking the barrels. The big stores often rely on what I’ll call distillers picks. They let the distillery pick. That’s not necessary bad, but it’s not the same as someone with good taste picking a particular barrel.

Comment

first time tonight to try some pendleton whisky. not bad has a nice finish at the end.

Comment

Anyone know what an Old Ezra 7yr retails for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                Anyone know what an Old Ezra 7yr retails for?

Seems like I picked one up for $50-60 last time

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                  Seems like I picked one up for $50-60 last time

I’m seeing prices all over on the internet. I found one at the store for the first time at $75 and went ahead and grabbed it.

Comment

That’s most likely because they’re not actually picking the barrels. The big stores often rely on what I’ll call distillers picks. They let the distillery pick. That’s not necessary bad, but it’s not the same as someone with good taste picking a particular barrel.

Anywhere around Houston you’d recommend for barrel picks then?

Comment

Where’s my invite to the next barrel pick?

Comment

Where are these picks going? I’d love to pickup some, I just recently got my first pick but have been wanting some for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TXMOPAR View Post
                          Old Forrester Prohibition Style 1920 is hard to beat.
                          It is my favorite bourbon that I can always find on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            Anywhere around Houston you’d recommend for barrel picks then?

On the Southeast/Clear Lake side of town, Nasa Liquor on Nasa Rd 1 and Flak's Liquor on El Dorado usually have some store picks.

Comment

Which mash bill was your Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel pick? And is it still available and if so, where can I purchase a bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post

I can’t wait to try this one! Does anyone have any reviews?

I had a bottle a few years ago, tasted like Christmas cookies. It was great to sip by the fire on Christmas morning but not a daily drinker.

Comment

Working...
                                X