2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    If you want to come up the Ferris sometime late in the season, I can get your boy on a mallard. We also have woodies but that is more luck than skill to have them show up in front of the blind.
    That'd be awesome!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
      What area of the state is this? This year or next I want to go after Mallards and Wood ducks. My boy wants a duck with a green head to mount in his room. (I'd prefer he shoot and mounts a Mallard over a shovler, lol).

South end of Conroe [emoji6] north east Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
        What area of the state is this? This year or next I want to go after Mallards and Wood ducks. My boy wants a duck with a green head to mount in his room. (I'd prefer he shoot and mounts a Mallard over a shovler, lol).

Sounds like my son, we went after cranes in the panhandle this year and going to try and do greenheads or speckled bellies next.

Comment

Some epic hunts guys we have been doing good on our end alsl

Comment

Panhandle trip with Dust Devil Outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              You gonna have to invest in some remote battery powered "water actions" JD, if you wanna save the arm. Or find ya an "alternate" hunter in case the young ones don't wanna go.

Glad ya got a few. Nothing like the sunrise.
              Thanks Mike. Young'un is working a lot so I'm solo for now. I'm thinking of bringing in a new duck partner with decoy motion management as their primary duty. That and picking up the dekes if the bottom is muddy. Man's got to earn his way. More and more I'm trying to hunt those small holes. Won't see as many birds but they give you a closer look if you can convince them. Still, I'll do the open lake stuff. Also, new partner is gonna need to be the spot sitter. I'm gettin too old to sleep on a pile of decoys in 30 degree weather. Man's got to show he's committed to the task.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                Panhandle trip with Dust Devil Outfitters.

Congrats Dkirk. Those birds will eat. Young'un looks happy. That's the best we can ask for I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                  Took off Thursday afternoon for a weekend hunt with Canoe1. On my final stop before hitting the water, I noticed the fuel line in my new to me boat broken off at the motor. I guess someone must've been checking it out while I was picking up groceries and accidentally (I hope it wasn't with malicious intent) leaned on it and snapped the quick connect. At camp Andrew and I were able to mexi-rig an alternative and had it purring.
                  He had scouted a couple areas and we decided to go to my favorite spot. I like it cause that's where I had my first successful hunt and it's easy to find the way in so I wouldn't risk my outboard overmuch. My boat had all the weight, his ferried us in the final stretch. Headed out at 4am and were on the stand by 430.
                  Legal light came in and the actin was quick. If we were better shots, we have been done in 30 minutes. Some fly bys, a few working in and some checking us out but not committing. I had problems with my Stoeger, I forgot which way the safety was, so pretty much missed the quick early flights. Had a pair of Mottled decoy beautifully and we each took our limit on them. Then had a bunch of teal bombard us and he pulled a double while I kept from shooting cause they were too close to me. Toward the end of the hunt, we noticed a pair of high flyers. I did a quick quack to let them know we were there. They turned, saw the dekes and dive bombed us. From about 300 feet up, to 20yrd infront of us in seconds. He took a shot at the lead bird and missed. I folded the rear bird (prearranged shooting solution, he takes the lead or left bird, I take the next or right bird). His next shot folded his bird and then he swung on mine to back me up. I'm a crap shot, I admit it lol. Poor widgeon took 2 #3 shots to the head and then crashed into an old tree before hitting the water. It sounded so bad when it hit that I cringed.

Overall, Andrew had 6 birds and I ended with 4. His were Mottled, Greenwing, Gadwall and the Widgeon. I took, Gadwall, Mottled, pintail hen and the other Widgeon.

After the hunt, we went in for breakfast and then took my boat out to do some scouting. Birds just aren't here yet. Some spots held a few, but nothing like last year. I decided to tie it a trotline and we baited it with Zote soap since I couldn't catch any bait after trying for an hour. Ended up with 16 fish in about 3 hours time so it wasn't a bad run.

Saturday, let's not talk about Saturday. We only had 3 shots. It was dead out. Should've slept in instead

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                  Congrats Gatorgar. I need to remember to take a trotline with me. I bet if I set it the afternoon before and check it after the hunt we'd get a cast n blast..?maybe a trot n blast...no, that kinda implies a different imagery.

Comment

Anyone interested in doing a trade hunt with me? Specific's are below.

We are taking kids and my 13yr old nephew to college station area for the Christmas wonderland deal on friday, Staying at Rv park friday night and leaving saturday to stay are there lake house on Livingston saturday night. With all that being said im trying to find a quick hunt for him either in college station area for saturday morning and a Livingston area hunt for Sunday morning. He wants a wood duck drake or mallard pretty bad.

The offer is I hunt the winnie texas area alot. I have a gatortail boat and pull right up to banks and make a easy hunt. We generally always do good. I can take me and 2 people this season for a swap. We normally shoot wigeon, pintail,gadwall, teal, all sorts of divers, mottles, pretty much anything is possible except mallards or woodies. We shot 13 saturday which was canvasback, teal, gadwal and pintails.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this. Thanks. 713-898-6289

Comment

Scouted an ETX lake Friday and found a wad of gadwalls. Got on the spot we wanted Saturday morning and had a great hunt with two limits. This is the third opening day we've done really well on this water.

But here's something I don't understand. Between the gadwalls, GWT, spoonies, and pintail we saw, I doubt we were looking at any resident birds. I've hunted this same place a lot and I rarely see as many birds later in the season as I do on opening day. Only deep in January does it come close to the numbers.

So here's a dumb question. Why were all these birds here already and why do I not see as many later on when we've had strong cold fronts and it's started to freeze up north?

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post

Fun thirty minute shoot today with some bonus jewelry.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                          Scouted an ETX lake Friday and found a wad of gadwalls. Got on the spot we wanted Saturday morning and had a great hunt with two limits. This is the third opening day we've done really well on this water.

But here's something I don't understand. Between the gadwalls, GWT, spoonies, and pintail we saw, I doubt we were looking at any resident birds. I've hunted this same place a lot and I rarely see as many birds later in the season as I do on opening day. Only deep in January does it come close to the numbers.

So here's a dumb question. Why were all these birds here already and why do I not see as many later on when we've had strong cold fronts and it's started to freeze up north?
                          I think they move back north for better food. We don't see them until late January because it takes that long for snow levels to cover feed and rivers to freeze up, if the ever do. As long as there is open water and feed they will handle the cold. I don't give them the smarts to calculate the calorie expenditure to move back south when it snows, but if they can pack on the grub up north they will. I also think they move south to start on more protein as it gets time for breeding up north. That means crustaceans and such, which may be harder to get up north....then again, it may be just duck do what duck do...

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post

Hunting pressure pushes them out.

Comment

looks like some good reports and some bad ones from the weekend.

Looks like a little front coming in Thursday so maybe a few new birds for the area this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by texaslammer View Post
                                Anyone interested in doing a trade hunt with me? Specific's are below.

We are taking kids and my 13yr old nephew to college station area for the Christmas wonderland deal on friday, Staying at Rv park friday night and leaving saturday to stay are there lake house on Livingston saturday night. With all that being said im trying to find a quick hunt for him either in college station area for saturday morning and a Livingston area hunt for Sunday morning. He wants a wood duck drake or mallard pretty bad.

The offer is I hunt the winnie texas area alot. I have a gatortail boat and pull right up to banks and make a easy hunt. We generally always do good. I can take me and 2 people this season for a swap. We normally shoot wigeon, pintail,gadwall, teal, all sorts of divers, mottles, pretty much anything is possible except mallards or woodies. We shot 13 saturday which was canvasback, teal, gadwal and pintails.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this. Thanks. 713-898-6289
                                Wish I could take you up on this offer just not in my area

Comment

Working...
                                X