No announcement yet.

Busted pipe in the attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea helped fix my buddies last night, man those Shark Bite Fitting are cool.

Comment

You got a good price. My parents dealt with the same thing this morning. $450

Comment

Originally posted by BW412 View Post
        Wow. However, they were probably lucky to find someone available to fix it so soon. The guy that fixed mine said that calls were pouring in after I called.

Comment

I just finished repairing 5 split lines at our restaurant. About to head back up there and repair the walls and ceiling I destroyed getting to the copper. Then clean up all the water and debris.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
            Wow. However, they were probably lucky to find someone available to fix it so soon. The guy that fixed mine said that calls were pouring in after I called.
            Yes they were happy to pay that at the time after being without power for so long. The guy was there within an hour. I'm hoping as their house warms no more leaks show up. The ceiling did end up on the floor. So ready for this to be over.

Comment

Busted pipe in the attic

Originally posted by BW412 View Post

I should have been a plumber. Always blows my mind. $8 in supplies and prob 20 minutes.

That 20 minutes was me fixing mine. I’m a hack at sweating copper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                This is the piece i missed and it cost me. I wrapped my outside hose bibs up really good but didn't leave them dripping. Pipe above the garage going to one of the outside hosebibs burst yesterday. lesson learned... wrap them but leave them dripping if they are supplied by an unprotected pipe over the garage.
                A lot of people are going to have busted pipes over garages. These are notorious for freezing due to no heat load below like in a house. If you can isolate these lines and drain them before a freeze is the best way. Most houses with PEX piping have a central 'valve box' where you can turn off individual fixtures. If you can't I would definitely leave then dripping if you can but for 0 degrees you're going to need more of a dribble then a drip. I was unwrapping hose bibs and blowing them down about 3 times a day to keep mine good. This gets the super cooled water out of the line atleast for a couple of hours. These were NOT hose bibs with a line running over a garage but just the exterior wall of the house. I was having ice form on the hose bib in that brief amount of time. You can still wrap these usually with an old t shirt (which I use to cover all my hose bibs) wound pretty time and secured with wire. Those little foam cups and bags you can buy just allow too much air around the faucet especially if it's not completely sealed to the end of the house. They are fine for a light freeze for 24 hours - not 10 degrees for 72. If you want to still use these I would still wrap the faucet with cloth or strip insulation first and then use those covers to hold all of it on there. The tighter the better.

I'm manager for a commercial HVAC and plumbing contractor. They do sell a freeze proof hose bib you can retro fit in to a house. You might have to cut a hole in the sheetrock on the inside but well worth not having the worry anymore. If I ever build a house I'll definitely make sure to put these in. The house I own now would be too difficult so I'm stuck with tshirt wrapping and blowing down.

Comment

Working...
                X