Low Fenced Hunting Ranch - Buying Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Fenced Hunting Ranch - Buying Advice

If you were looking to buy a low fenced ranch what would you look for. In other words.......

What features would you want the place to have?

What areas would you be looking at, where the hunting criteria desired is lots of game including exotics?

I'm looking for another ranch now and the number one thing I'm looking for is water. Would love to have a creek that runs through it. But it at least must have a pond or 2. Of course plenty of hardwoods

Comment

If its low fence it must be big. Even then it might requiring fencing some sides.

Comment

It would depend on a couple things. If money wasn’t a big deal, my biggest thing would be size. You can do a lot on low fence with bigger acreage. If I was on a budget I’d buy in a place with a high deer density, so you’d at least have a good number of deer. I own a smaller place here where I live, deer are hit and miss, I’ve killed two bucks in 8 years. Having property is a lot of work, a lot of work. If I had to over again, I probably wouldn’t buy property. I spend too much time keeping up with it, to me it’s not worth it. If I was a loaded and could pay someone to do it, it would be different. But everybody has different dreams. To me, there’s not much worse than mowing, shredding, fixing roads, fences etc. and no benefit other than to say I have property.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          It would depend on a couple things. If money wasn’t a big deal, my biggest thing would be size. You can do a lot on low fence with bigger acreage. If I was on a budget I’d buy in a place with a high deer density, so you’d at least have a good number of deer. I own a smaller place here where I live, deer are hit and miss, I’ve killed two bucks in 8 years. Having property is a lot of work, a lot of work. If I had to over again, I probably wouldn’t buy property. I spend too much time keeping up with it, to me it’s not worth it. If I was a loaded and could pay someone to do it, it would be different. But everybody has different dreams. To me, there’s not much worse than mowing, shredding, fixing roads, fences etc. and no benefit other than to say I have property.
          I know what you mean about taking care of a property. I have a little land in Wisconsin and when I first bought it every time we went to visit I spent all my time clearing trees that had fallen over blocking the ATV roads. I finally got someone to take care of that for me (in exchange for being able to hunt there.) Now i haven't had time to make a trip to hunt there the past 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
            I'm looking for another ranch now and the number one thing I'm looking for is water. Would love to have a creek that runs through it. But it at least must have a pond or 2. Of course plenty of hardwoods
            Thanks, there definitely seems to be a trade off between the size of a property and water. Water seems to drive the price up in a hurry!! I am wondering what the importance is for hunting vs the size of a property? Just an observation window shopping online.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              If its low fence it must be big. Even then it might requiring fencing some sides.
              Great point, I personally would not want that responsibility of anything under a high fence.

Comment

Plenty trees/brush, terrain change of sorts, water and good fences. I wouldnt want a flat piece of cattle pasture with little to no brush. I would prefer to have to clear lanes vs try and figure out how to hunt the only three trees on the property. Size of course depends on budget, but as much as you could afford. Lastly, I think I would buy in north Texas or around Camp Wood if it were me. I love the terrain and exotics in Camp Wood, but north Texas has some bruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

When I had property (other than the home place) I didn’t begrudge the time I spent there, although it was a lot, but I spent too much money for the return. I enjoyed most of the work, mowing, repairing creek crossings, food plotting, etc., and had good equipment to do it with. But for what I got out of it vs money spent each year, I could have taken a nice guided or outfitted hunt. I kinda neglected my home place too, so there’s that. I sold it, haven’t regretted a minute, and don’t have any plans to buy another.

Having said all that, if you’re a young guy, have the resources to buy, you’re certainly not gonna lose any money. That old adage about land, “they ain’t making any more of it” is true. Just don’t give too much for it.

Comment

Spend hours and hours and then more hours on Lands of Texas. Took me many years to find the property I bought. You have to find the needle in the hay stack that suits just you.

Mine was a property that was not taken care of and needed lots of work. Bordered a State Park and had only two huge neighboring ranches.

Up to you to choose lots of deer or fewer but bigger deer. What you like as far as East Texas pines, hill country, pastures, cactus or whatever...Since Texas has it all.

Comment

Location, budget, amenities

Comment

If it was up to me, I'd look for terrain and water. After that, animals and whatnot.

Comment

something where the taxes are low, and exemptions are in place. smaller parcel neighbors are good, if its decent folks, and as long as you have water, and the best bedding.

try to border wide open ag, national forest, lake, or live river. have enough room for undisturbed sanctuary, and be strict about it.

Comment

good neighbors?

Comment

I look for very little road frontage, place I have right now only has road frontage on one side for about a 1/4 mile. That way you have more huntable acreage and less traffic & lookers. The one I have under contract right now has a deeded easement to get to it. Zero frontage, and 100% huntable acreage. A lot of good points above too, good luck in your search. Nothing like hunting your own piece of ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X