Another "Be Careful" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "Be Careful" thread

I had a buddy Rifle hunting with his son. They made the shot, killed the buck and went to field dress it. This is where the problem started. My buddy, who is an experienced hunter, had a "brain fart". Goes to splitting the rib cage, on the ground, PULLING the knife towards him! Of course, hit a soft spot, knife comes out at full force and he stabs himself in the left thigh! Knife went in about 4 inches and barely missed the femoral artery. Luckily the son was there, phoned 911 and my buddy is ok. But WAY too close for comfort.
    Just relaying this to remind everyone to think about what you are doing. Accidents happen but some are preventable.

Sometimes the most experienced hunters are the ones who get careless. Glad he will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Sometimes the most experienced hunters are the ones who get careless. Glad he will be okay.
      My point exactly. We all have to THINK

Comment

I leave my deer whole till I lift up to skin. I dont even gut deer anymore.

Comment

Ouch, I heard a similar story relayed last week except the artery was sliced and fella died right there. At the lease alone , wife had to send out the search party when she hadn’t heard from him in a while.

Another vote for doing the gutless method and leaving the rib cage alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

D***
            That's a close one!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ohhh yikes!

Comment

That's scary stuff. Glad he will be okay

Comment

Ouch thanks for the reminder and glad he is ok.

Comment

Definitely a great reminder! We all have to remember to practice Safety at home, deer lease, fishing, etc. Be careful out there!

Comment

I did that cutting carpet years ago.
                      Life can be dangerous thank goodness he will be good

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        I did that cutting carpet years ago.
                        Life can be dangerous thank goodness he will be good
                        I did similar - at the lease putting a cover on my tripod - had a razor blade knife and was cutting the cover and it slipped - sliced across the inside of my wrist - following week I was at my doctors office for my annual exam and he asked me what happened. I told him and he said a quarter of an inch over from my cut and it would have bled out. Got my attention for sure

Comment

Crap happens. That’s why I carry clotting gauze in my back pack. .......and hope like hell I never need it.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                            I leave my deer whole till I lift up to skin. I dont even gut deer anymore.
                            I do it this way too. Haven’t gutted one in years. Still gut pigs though since I want the ribs.

Comment

Pretty scary. My dad one time was trying to teach me what line of fire was. He was demonstrating it and actually cut his leg. It was just a little cut but pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X