English Labs vs American Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Labs vs American Labs

Help me understand some of the differences between English labs and American labs as you see them or have experienced. I've done some research online and seen temperament comments and such but was hoping to hear some personal experiences or opinions from the green-screen. Also welcome male vs female input. Any input is appreciated!

The best dog I ever owned wAs a British bloodline lab. Huge blocky head, not as leggy as an American lab. Thick, stocky body. Not quite as high energy super spaz as some of the American dogs I’ve owned and been around, but really fast learner, great temperament, and would work til he dropped. I can’t speak on the as a whole, but the one 13 year experience I had with a British lab was enough for me to know that when I’m ready again, I’ll seek out another.

Comment

Are we talking hunting, or backyard mutt?

For waterfowl 100% american lab. Smaller, lean, mean, high drive, duck, goose retrieving machine is the way to go.

Who needs a big ol British pig of a dog laboring through the mud and water going slow as can be. Ain't got time for it.

Comment

Agreed - american all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
          Are we talking hunting, or backyard mutt?

For waterfowl 100% american lab. Smaller, lean, mean, high drive, duck, goose retrieving machine is the way to go.

Who needs a big ol British pig of a dog laboring through the mud and water going slow as can be. Ain't got time for it.
          This will be both a pet and hunting dog that will go through thorough training. Appreciate the info.

Comment

If your looking for an indoor/outdoor dog, a hunting dog and a house dog, you can't go wrong with the British Lab. Much calmer temper and just as much as a hunter as an American lab. My British Lab blood trails deer and loves to duck hunt, but on those days off she is more than happy to lounge around the house causing no trouble. I take her to a lot of social places and she doesn't constantly seek attention from everyone around her. It has been a blessed 8 years with her.

As to American Labs, their great dogs but tend to have a lot more drive than I desire. If your duck hunting every weekend and have a big yard, than it may be the dog for you. I find that people who are competitive with their dogs, do dog trials, and duck hunt every day like American Labs.

Comment

Originally posted by GWilly View Post
              This will be both a pet and hunting dog that will go through thorough training. Appreciate the info.

As I suggest to all my friends who get dogs, the book Water Dog is all you need. Consistency is all it takes. No need to send your dog off. The time period you send your dog off to be trained is also the time period your dog will become most loyal to you as a companion and hunting friend.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
                As I suggest to all my friends who get dogs, the book Water Dog is all you need. Consistency is all it takes. No need to send your dog off. The time period you send your dog off to be trained is also the time period your dog will become most loyal to you as a companion and hunting friend.
                I'll check this book out. Thanks Cajun.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                  The best dog I ever owned wAs a British bloodline lab. Huge blocky head, not as leggy as an American lab. Thick, stocky body. Not quite as high energy super spaz as some of the American dogs I’ve owned and been around, but really fast learner, great temperament, and would work til he dropped. I can’t speak on the as a whole, but the one 13 year experience I had with a British lab was enough for me to know that when I’m ready again, I’ll seek out another.
                  This is my experience also. I trained Kalani as a service dog to take to hospitals and he was amazing with the patients and kids. But would still retrieve birds All day long. Best dog I’ve ever had, loved to work, loved to play and hang out on the couch too

And Water Dog is a great book

Comment

I went with a small statured American lab out of Nebraska. It seems that a lot of the northern labs have some British traits to them. I’m not a big fan of the super narrow faces that a lot of breeders in Texas put out. She’s 55lbs at 3yo. Good shaped head but still lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of funny misinformation here.

British labs are generally smaller, a full grown male will be in the low 50lb range and females in the 40's. They are generally calm natured, training methods may be different than American labs and I would recommend Mike Stewart's book for training without a collar. I've never used force fetch or a collar and believe for British labs, this is the route to go.

American labs were bred for hunt tests. They are high drive, high motor and bigger bodied.

My British lab out of Ace's Retrievers in Kiln, MS is an amazing dog. He will lounge around the house all day but when you get him in a working situation, his pupils dilate and he is an absolute machine with more drive than I've ever seen. Total gentleman at home, absolute machine in the field. Very eager to please.

Brits are going to be black or red, and I would suggest Ace's, Wildrose Kennels or Southern Oak Kennels as your breeder. Most of the best dogs come out of the UK and are brought over to breed.

Comment

Comment

This is where i got my lab
                          Breeders of chocolate, yellow, and black Labrador Retrievers. Breeding English Labradors for over 30 years. Our labs do conformantion, agility, obedience, field work, and nosework.

Comment

Originally posted by GWilly View Post
                            Look up Freddy King (the retriever trainer) on Youtube. He has a video series called meat dog. Thank me later.

Comment

Got my white lab from http://www.6sranch.com/ in Waller Texas. She weighs around 70 pounds. I'd say weight and size will likely be determined by the breeder you go to.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X