Skunk Trapped.. Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skunk Trapped.. Advice needed

So, grandparents had something digging up the yard and they decided to put out a trap. They now have a fully grown Skunk in said trap. Besides just shooting the thing and dumping it, anyone have any advice on releasing it? Is it possible without getting sprayed? I have shot them before and they still spray so I am not sure what the best route is.

I have already given the 'what did you expect to happen when you put out a trap' speech but ultimately I have to deal with it today, make sure it does not suffer, etc.

They would like to release it alive in a more remote location. However, my goal is no tomato soup bath.

I have heard that you can slowly walk up and place a towel/blanket/etc over the trap and they won't spray while you relocate the trap.

I haven't tried it.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
      I have heard that you can slowly walk up and place a towel/blanket/etc over the trap and they won't spray while you relocate the trap.

I haven't tried it.

Good luck.
      was gonna say the same thing!

Comment

If you shoot em behind the shoulder, there’s a 50/50 chance they’ll spray. If you shoot em in the head, they will spray. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gently cover trap with a blanket. It works better if you already have it about 1/2 way on, but too late for that now. Should be able to pick up and transport once covered. Key word is GENTLY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post

I haven't tried it.

Good luck.
            Only way I’ve done it. Walk slow and use sheet as shield. Then put trap in water... deep enough

Comment

I did the same thing expecting to catch an racoon. Animal control told me to walk up holding up an old blanket and cover it to relocate. I didnt like that idea, but living in a neighborhood, I had to get creative if I was going to "pew" him. I started up my lawnmower and used the .22. No one heard a thing.

Comment

Use a tarp to cover, then open the trap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

some of the old trappers around here say shoot them in the chest.have done it a few times no spray!!

Comment

All true. Blanket trick works.

Shoulder shot is 50/50 or a little better. Head shot is 100% spray.

I have released one from a live trap without a blanket by opening the cage door. Feels stupid, but if you talk to them, it keeps them calmer. They tend to bow up and stomp their front foot before they turn around and fire. Moral of the story, if he's looking at you, he can't spray you. They'll tolerate more than you think.

Comment

Tarp or blanket. If left in the sun too long they will lay down and die. They don’t do well when exposed to straight sun light.

Comment

You just gotta go real fast!

Comment

Well you already have it trapped so my method won't work this time. But if you have another one bait your trap with canned cat food mixed Golden Malrin fly bait. It works very fast on them and then you just have to dispose of a dead skunk that hasn't sprayed. May hear some flak on this.

I caught 5 last spring under one of our field office buildings. Being stealthy like other members have said and place a towel, blanket or box over the trap to move to your relocation spot and let them out downwind and use a shotgun.

Comment

Be sure to video what ever you decide

Comment

ive shoot them in the head with a 12 gauge and have never had one spray

Comment

Working...
                              X