X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter chocolate lite for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
      i'm thinking about swapping from my trufire wrist release to a thumb release like the nock 2 it. does anyone shoot this style? any recommendations?
      As you can see, a lot of people shoot this style of release, and there are many opinions of which is best. The fact is, the first one you buy isn't going to be your last one; so plan accordingly.

A couple of points from my perspective:

1) I don't clip mine on the string, I keep it in my small pocket on my binocular harness or in my heated muff. I am usually elevated or moving when hunting; if I were in a ground blind I would probably keep it hooked.

2) A backtension isn't a type of release, it is a way to fire the release. A hinge, thumb or tension activated release can all be fired by using backtension or other forms (rotation, punch, etc). A tension activated is as close as you will get to a true backtension release, but even then, you don't need to use the rhomboid to activate it, it can be activated other ways.

I have several handheld releases and a few wrist strap releases.

TruBall HB
      X, can be used multiple ways (thumb, hinge, etc).
      Carter Just B Cuz Brass, thumb trigger and I use the extension and larger knob.
      TruBall execute (wrist strap), very good and crisp release, can be set very heavy if needed.
      Original Hot Shot (magnetic sear), also very good and crisp but can't be set as heavy as the Execute. Fewer moving parts and springs so dirt is less of a concern.
      I just ordered the Stan PerfX Heavy Longneck. This is probably the biggest bang for the buck for just a thumb trigger release as it comes with several extensions to get the knob in the perfect position for you without needing to buy extra stuff later (like with my Carter).

The final one I would recommend would be the TruBall GOAT, I have shot one several times (probably 200 arrows) and really like it. It can be set up as a thumb trigger or hinge. The first run had a few issues, so I would buy a current model; but if you do buy used and it has issues TruBall will take care of it no questions asked.

Comment

I'm poor so I only have a Truball T-rex 4 finger. I only use 3 fingers though. but I love it. it WAS dropped and missing for a day once and that was a very anxious time for me.

Comment

I made the switch from wrist to thumb but didnt want to spend $$$ so went with the blackout 4 finger its the bass pro/cabelas brand but it made by trufire. Very pleased with it and shoots great

Comment

Wish I never sold my Stan SX3.

Comment

The Carter Convertible looks like a great buy if you are wanting to keep it hooked to the d-loop. That’s another major factor for me that I’ll be looking into this spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                I shot one for the first time last Friday and man was it different. Hit bullseye all times but definitely a different feel. I like my wrist release. Archery shop said I would get used to it and groups would be tighter.
                I bought a Scott Pursuit about a month ago and it took a little getting use to but I really enjoyed shooting "targets" with it. It didn't take long to adjust from the wrist release. BUT I tried to take it hunting with me and that is another story. After launching two arrows on accident out the front of my blind I have switched back to my Scott wrist release for hunting. I could probably get use to hunting with the thumb release but not this year. Thumb release for targets (3D) but wrist for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                  I bought a Scott Pursuit about a month ago and it took a little getting use to but I really enjoyed shooting "targets" with it. It didn't take long to adjust from the wrist release. BUT I tried to take it hunting with me and that is another story. After launching two arrows on accident out the front of my blind I have switched back to my Scott wrist release for hunting. I could probably get use to hunting with the thumb release but not this year. Thumb release for targets (3D) but wrist for hunting.
                  Let me know if you decide to sell it.

Comment

Love my Stan Perfex.

Comment

I shoot the 2 Smooth and love it. Realize its a hinge style but if you get a chance, try it,

Comment

I've been shooting a silverback for the last 4 days and it has been awesome. If you can try one (or any back tension I suppose) it's seems to be a game changer for me... Especially at longer distances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you looked into a hinge style release? You can still punch a trigger on a thumb button. Hinge or (back tensions) eliminate that. No possibly way to punch the trigger. It will truly teach you to trust the release hand and concentrate on breaking a good shot. Aiming subconsciously somehow results in better groups.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

I like the handheld thumb releases and shoot them well, but I always liked pulling the trigger, so I went with a Scott that is a handheld but has a trigger. I shoot best with it. I have about 3 thumb release including a carter, but still like the Scott trigger pull the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X