OTR Mobile for WiFi/Internet in the sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTR Mobile for WiFi/Internet in the sticks

Has anyone here used OTR mobile for a hotspot to have internet/wifi in rural areas? After doing some research, I decided to give them a try. I ordered the setup last night from them. It’s a Nighthawk MR1100 hotspot with a SIM card. It is truly 100% unlimited data. No caps. No throttling. It’s $60 a month. No contact. No hidden fees. They have a 14 day money back guarantee also. Where I live, there is no wifi other than Hughes.net offered. There is one local place, but they came out and told me I needed a 45ft antenna to clear the tree line to have clear path to the tower. I’m going to give the OTR a try. Everyone seems to have very good luck with it. As long as I can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime video, I should be fine. I also have a Firestick that I bought a while back on sale and never opened. If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know how it works for me later in the week.

In

Comment

I’m following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you not get Verizon service? I have the same deal from them, $70/month prepaid with a hotspot for unlimited service. We don't have internet where we live and works great.

Comment

Let me know how this works

Comment

I have AT&T and in the area I live in, Verizon is horrible. A lot of guys I work with tried switching over to get away from AT&T, but had to come back due to poor service in this area.

Comment

I just wanted to update this. I received my OTR Mobile hotspot today. It works perfectly. I put a new amazon firestick in my TV and started watching TV as soon as I got it. Zero delay. No buffering. HD TV clarity. I also have my laptop and my phone connected to it right now while the firestick is streaming. Everything works wonderfully. For truly unlimited data with no caps/throttling for $60 a month, this is awesome. I’ve had zero television since April when I turned off my Direct TV. It’s been extremely quite in my house for many many months.

Comment

Just got mine a week ago. I was paying for two DSL lines from consolidated. I was getting around 13 MBPS. I got the best modem that they offered, I believe it's the Nighthawk or something like that, and got a Wilson external antenna for it, that I mounted on my chimney. I get around 3 bars of service and I am getting around 60 MBPS.

Comment

The service sounds awesome, but man I’d be tempted to get rid of it just to regain the peace and quite. I went without TV of any sort for 10-11 years until the GF (now wife) moved in a couple years back. I’ve been far less productive now that I can sit back and be lazy. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                    Just got mine a week ago. I was paying for two DSL lines from consolidated. I was getting around 13 MBPS. I got the best modem that they offered, I believe it's the Nighthawk or something like that, and got a Wilson external antenna for it, that I mounted on my chimney. I get around 3 bars of service and I am getting around 60 MBPS.
                    I’ve got 3 bars of service now with the hotspot sitting in the window. I order a cheap $27 antenna today from amazon just to see if I can get one more bar of signal. However, it’s streaming tv just fine right now so I have zero complaints. I have not done any upload/download speed tests to see what it’s giving.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      The service sounds awesome, but man I’d be tempted to get rid of it just to regain the peace and quite. I went without TV of any sort for 10-11 years until the GF (now wife) moved in a couple years back. I’ve been far less productive now that I can sit back and be lazy. Lol
                      Man, honestly I don’t miss it at all except for at night when I go to bed. I like to watch something just to zone out before I go to sleep. Between work, the gym, my side business....I’m not home much at all so I don’t watch much tv. That’s why it was killing me to pay $140 a month for Direct TV (with no internet).

Comment

When you bought the Night Hawk and sim card from the provider did you have to set up a plan with the provider or does the hot spot and sim take card of all that? I'm with sprint but all the unlimited data plans seem to be with verizon or at&t and I don't want to switch my cell phone plan to them or open an additional plan for the unlimited internet.
                        Last edited by LWolken; 11-21-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWolken View Post
                          When you bought the Night Hawk and sim card from the provider did you have to set up a plan with the provider or does the hot spot and sim take card of all that? I'm with sprint but all the unlimited data plans seem to be with verizon or at&t and I don't want to switch my cell phone plan to them or open an additional plan for the unlimited internet.
                          Other than activating the SIM, there is nothing else to do. It's a month to month plan. Unlimited data, with no slow downs, for 60 bones a month. This OTR is actually through AT&T towers.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                            Other than activating the SIM, there is nothing else to do. It's a month to month plan. Unlimited data, with no slow downs, for 60 bones a month. This OTR is actually through AT&T towers.
                            So how did you get unlimited data through ATT? How did you activate the sim?

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                              So how did you get unlimited data through ATT? How did you activate the sim?
                              When you receive the modem and SIM card there is a card in the box that has the website and instructions to open a chat window. They will ask for the order number and activate the card. They instructed me to wit for one hour after they put in the activation order to turn the modem on. Wait the hour and turn it on and that's it.
                              You don't deal with At&t at all, but they do use AT&T towers.

Comment

Working...
                              X