No announcement yet.

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of ya'll making an arguement for spears.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Some of ya'll making an arguement for spears.

And fishing for perch with a deep sea marlin rod..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        And fishing for perch with a deep sea marlin rod..
        It’s like hearing 2 argue over best hill country deer rifle: “.338 lapua “... “no, no 22 hornet”

.... y’all ever heard of a .243, 25-06....? In the middle lies the answer

Comment

a Light arrow and a heavy arrow make the same size hole. The heavier arrow just penetrates more than the light arrow. It’s not comparable to shooting rabbits with a 300 win mag instead of a 22lr, or an offshore rod for a perch.

Comment

How much more?

Honestly

What’s the MEASURABLE penetration difference in 400g vs 500g?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              To answer the why not question

1. I’ve proven hundreds of times it’s not as important as hyped up to be... it’s just not

2. I don’t hunt feeders. I know my trajectory to a tee at my ranges of comfortable shooting. I don’t shoot 3 pins... I shoot 1... it’s more accurate FOR ME. I set pin on 25, I know how it shoots from years of this arrow practice and hunting. I can kill anything from point blank range - 32 holding dead center of shoulder

The buck I killed at 35 chased a doe across a creek and I stopped him at a known marked tree at 35... drew, shot and killed him dead within 60 yards... both shoulders. Had I had to adjust for slower bow at that distance I would have probably never got the shot.... but the outcome would have been the same if I did

So my arrow has the advantage FOR ME
              Do you shoot a sliding single pin sight?

Comment

Have shot fixed and slider. Now shoot slider

Comment

In my experience medium to heavy arrows have worked best 450-510gr out of a 70lb 28” draw no matter the head has gotten me very good results i shot a rather large boar at 45 yards with a rage extreme and it blew through him like butter on a 480gr arrow.

I shot a few does with 400gr arrows and got a pass through on one and stopped in bone on another shooting fixed heads.

To me I think of it as projectile Weight in a rifle. If you want a deep penetrating bullet it needs to have several different characteristics:
                  Weight
                  Construction
                  Velocity

If you’re shooting fixed heads from a tuned modern bow I couldn’t imagine really needing a 500+ grain arrow.

If your shooting a big mechanical I would think you don’t need lots of extra velocity but some extra weight to push that big head deeper into the pump house.

I believe if you have confidence in what you shoot that’s better than anything.

Im a middle of the road 480+\- and probably will never think about going lighter.
                  Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    How much more?

Honestly

What’s the MEASURABLE penetration difference in 400g vs 500g?
                    I bet it’s quite a bit. I’ve seen a lot more animals end up being found with marginal hits because the heavier arrow was able to bust through a shoulder, or was able to penetrate the full length of an animal that was quartering away a little too much when the shot hit.

Comment

heavy arrows mess up my chances at shooting a buck at 120 yards.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                        heavy arrows mess up my chances at shooting a buck at 120 yards.....lol
                        What you need..are heavier strings and heavier limbs...

Comment

Also, every time I’ve talked, or read about, somebody that says Rages suck, it’s because they’re using a light arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                            Also, every time I’ve talked, or read about, somebody that says Rages suck, it’s because they’re using a light arrow.
                            Light arrow causes the blades to open in flight?
                            Causes them to cork screw?
                            Explain the physics there, professor.

Comment

That would be from buying cheap knockoffs, not having a tuned bow, or improper use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well student, Might be a lack of attention to detail. I’ve killed a lot of animals with rage broad heads and have never had anything like that occur. I have however pulled a few arrows from my quiver after I noticed the collar had been bumped and broke, blade wasn’t locked in to collar properly, or a little rust that popped up because it was wet on a prior sit. But that’s a whole different topic and I will agree there can be manufacturer defects in the collar that cause early blade deployment.

Comment

Working...
                                X